Dungeon Keeper

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
I just was playing around with dungeon keeper 2 from bullfrog. I had heard that they were in the process of a 3rd but bullfrog tanked. Anybody heard anything in the last few years or know of any similiar game to try. Most of the other strategic games are too different.

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
Definitely enjoyed this game. Still play it every once in a while.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I really liked the game also.
You might like overlord.

Its the only game since dungeon keeper that gave me that same kind of feel.
You have imps that you can smack around, mistreat, etc
Your playing the bad guy in overlord as well.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
OMG! I totally loves that game! For its day the graphics were great! Evenby todays standards its pretty damn good looking.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
This thread pops up here every so often. Bullfrog was a great design house. They are sorely missed

Overlord hey?... will have to check it out.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I LOVED Dungeon Keeper, and number 2 was pretty darn sweet.

The only thing that comes close is Evil Genius, and I didnt like it that much.
You may want to check it out.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Dungeon Keeper 2 let me down in one respect; you couldn't capture King Reginald (the main guy at the end of the last level) so you could torture him into converting to being a minion. In the first game the Avatar (which was actually an Ultima reference and I believe they used that same graphic for the Avatar in one of the actual Ultima games) could be captured. It took a VERY long time to convert him, but it's possible. Something kind of cool about attacking the King with a converted Lord of the Land (plus other ne'er do wells) then coverting him as well.

Wheelock

May 3, 2007
Eversmile. The people of Eversmile are plagued only by aching facial muscles, and not by anthrax as we'd hoped.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Originally posted by: mattpegher
Boy I wish someone would make a 3rd

You and me both.

I never played the 2nd, but the 1st is definitely one of the best RTS I ever played. They just don't make games like they used to...

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I was very suspicious of the game overlord.
It has alot in common with dungeon keeper.
The feel of the game just reminds me of it too much.
The imps that run around and the targets they attack even have the circles above there head with the number in them like in dungeon keeper.
There is a dungeon heart that must be retrieved , just like in dk.

I wonder if one of the people that worked on dungeon keeper didn't also work on overlord.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Wheelock
Eversmile. The people of Eversmile are plagued only by aching facial muscles, and not by anthrax as we'd hoped.

I LOVED those taglines.

"You'll be pleased to know anthrax has broken out, and the remaining inhabitants have happily taken to cannibalism!"

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: DarkPhantom36
Oh my god! Dungeon keeper1 was AMAZING! Do you guys think that DK2 would be worth the buy?
I actually liked it less. In the first one you had more room types and more monsters.
Also, monsters could do any job. Not always very well, but they could do it.
In the 2nd game, each monster can only do one job and some of them cant do anything but train.
And you can only use Horny under special circumstances.

INCIDENTALLY:

Bullfrog re-released DK1 with 3D acceleration while in monster 1st person mode.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
I love this game too, but haven't had the best luck getting it to run under XP. Are there any fan made updates or special tweaks for DK2?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It runs just fine for me in Windows XP. I dont know what to tell you.
Maybe try the compatibility mode.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Part 1 had the better gameplay for sure, 2 had the graphics.

I wish Bullfrong never went under.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
I didn't know that Bullfrog is dead... Or I forgot... Bummer. They have a nice list of classics. I was just thinking about cracking open Dungeon Keeper again last week.

I have an ex-girlfriend who wasn't into gaming at all, but she loved to play DK. Come to think of it, she was pretty sadistic!

Coolone

Aug 18, 2001
Man, this brings back memories. I remember the intro movie for the original DK where horny chops off the knights head (I was like 11 at the time) and I was like "THAT WAS AWESOME!!!"

They just dont make games like they used to :(