News Dumpsters cryin' bout loss of benefits 😄

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Cry me a river that you are faced with exactly what every working person in the United states faces if they lose their job, or their job ends unless you have a severance package or contract that says otherwise. Every government position should have the same outcome as every citizen does in the "real" world. No more of this "pension" for life crap, or extended benefits after 4 or 8 years of doing that job. The majority of American's are not so lucky. It's about time they face what the normal person faces instead of expecting special treatment. IF this happened for all government positions, they would spend more time working for the people rather than themselves.

/rant

Reactions: Pohemi

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
These are political appointees who worked for an administration that did more to purge the civil service for political reasons than did any administration since Jackson. Their boss even bragged about wanting to return the civil service to the spoils system. Fuck them. This shit is about as genuine as Greene claiming her free speech is being censored because she's facing the consequences of saying she wanted people killed because of their speech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
These are political appointees who worked for an administration that did more to purge the civil service for political reasons than did any administration since Jackson. Their boss even bragged about wanting to return the civil service to the spoils system. Fuck them. This shit is about as genuine as Greene claiming her free speech is being censored because she's facing the consequences of saying she wanted people killed because of their speech.
Yeah, Stop the Steal. Execute the Speaker! Parkland, Sandy Hook never happened. Jews started CA wildfires with space lasers. Ain' no plane hit the Pentagon, what ya'll trippin' on? David Hoge, motherfucker, I'm stalkin' you, hear me??? HEAR ME??? You're trying to take away my god-given 2nd Amendment rights!!!

What, you don't want me sayin', doin' that shit??? CENSORED! o_O

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

Save me the crocodile tears and be happy you are not getting prosecuted for the crimes against humanity you all were part of. And 'I was just following orders' hasn't been a valid defense since Nuremberg...

"Late at night on Jan. 5, the father got an email from the HR office saying that they had been wrong and that their benefit would end on Jan. 20.

“It’s one thing if you have a household, if you have one family member who works for the government,” he said. “But we were both employed by the government so we’re losing both of our opportunities for health care and both our incomes, so it’s pretty scary to have a premature baby at home and not knowing if you’re going to have an income or health insurance.”

The former DHS official and his wife wrote a letter on Jan. 13 to the Biden DHS agency review team pleading to get the full benefit. “[T]he remaining 9-10 weeks afforded to federal employees is critical to our family and livelihoods as we work to raise a strong, healthy boy under unique and unforeseen complications to our birth plan,” they wrote.

But the DHS’ Presidential Transition Office told the couple in an email on Jan. 18 that the benefits would not be rolled over into the next administration. “This is not what you were hoping to hear but I think you also knew that this was the most likely outcome,” the email read. “I am sorry to be the bearer of this news and I am sorry I don’t have other news.”

The couple declined to go on the record for fear of the political fallout if they were named publicly and how it could negatively affect future employment opportunities"
I don't really care, do you??

Who the hell would hire Stephen and Katie Miller?

I'm sure there were many Nazis that didn't stand trial at Nuremberg, that were thankful for the break.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I really struggled with this one. On one hand, I think everybody in this country should have parental (both maternal and paternal) leave. On the other hand, the current rules of the game are that all benefits are currently tied to employer and if you lose your employment you lose all of your benefits. It's a really shitty system, but that is what we decided to have as a country, and as such these people should not be getting preferential treatment over someone struggling to make ends meet. And that's not to mention that the entire GOP apparatus, the white house, HoR, Senate are all against parental leave. As such, after some deliberation I think these people should do what they preach and pull themselves by the bootstraps.

There's no legal obligation to provide the leave, and while there are many who get screwed by the laws of employment contracts, some employers do business more ethically. The Biden admin has a choice regarding this.

I will say, though, that I made an assumption here that these leave grants were consistent with the policies and precedent of the Trump admin. If instead they were made and granted as a grift to extract an unusual benefit solely because of the change in administration, then I think it is right for the Biden team to deny any paid leave beyond the terms of their contract or perhaps extended consistent with precedent under Trump or the policies of the new admin and not the requested 3 months.

As to extended paid parental leave as a matter of policy, my comment that it is unreasonable to expect of an employer is meant to be applied only within our system of laws and economics. Clearly, other governments have found ways to implement this universally, and it is something that is not unreasonable as a pursuit for America's future. It simply isn't a practical expectation for today.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
"Late at night on Jan. 5, the father got an email from the HR office saying that they had been wrong and that their benefit would end on Jan. 20.

“It’s one thing if you have a household, if you have one family member who works for the government,” he said. “But we were both employed by the government so we’re losing both of our opportunities for health care and both our incomes, so it’s pretty scary to have a premature baby at home and not knowing if you’re going to have an income or health insurance.”

The former DHS official and his wife wrote a letter on Jan. 13 to the Biden DHS agency review team pleading to get the full benefit. “[T]he remaining 9-10 weeks afforded to federal employees is critical to our family and livelihoods as we work to raise a strong, healthy boy under unique and unforeseen complications to our birth plan,” they wrote.

But the DHS’ Presidential Transition Office told the couple in an email on Jan. 18 that the benefits would not be rolled over into the next administration. “This is not what you were hoping to hear but I think you also knew that this was the most likely outcome,” the email read. “I am sorry to be the bearer of this news and I am sorry I don’t have other news.”

The couple declined to go on the record for fear of the political fallout if they were named publicly and how it could negatively affect future employment opportunities"
I don't really care, do you??

Who the hell would hire Stephen and Katie Miller?

I'm sure there were many Nazis that didn't stand trial at Nuremberg, that were thankful for the break.
Karma is a b***h, and they were both in DHS, how do we feel about separating kids from their parents and locking them up in cages?🤔
I am no proponent of illegal immigration but these guys were one step away from machine gunning everyone showing up at the southern border....

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Karma is a b***h, and they were both in DHS, how do we feel about separating kids from their parents and locking them up in cages?🤔
I am no proponent of illegal immigration but these guys were one step away from machine gunning everyone showing up at the southern border....

Well, Katie was just a gofer in VP Pence's office. but what she chose to procreate with says volumes about her.

They were listed in the Bloomingdale's registry for 3 nursery style cages.

• Haha
Reactions: undertaker101

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
There's no legal obligation to provide the leave, and while there are many who get screwed by the laws of employment contracts, some employers do business more ethically. The Biden admin has a choice regarding this.

I will say, though, that I made an assumption here that these leave grants were consistent with the policies and precedent of the Trump admin. If instead they were made and granted as a grift to extract an unusual benefit solely because of the change in administration, then I think it is right for the Biden team to deny any paid leave beyond the terms of their contract or perhaps extended consistent with precedent under Trump or the policies of the new admin and not the requested 3 months.

As to extended paid parental leave as a matter of policy, my comment that it is unreasonable to expect of an employer is meant to be applied only within our system of laws and economics. Clearly, other governments have found ways to implement this universally, and it is something that is not unreasonable as a pursuit for America's future. It simply isn't a practical expectation for today.

It’s not a practical expectation because we as a country don’t have have that expectation. However, we should. A happy and healthy family would do more for this country than any tax cut or military budget increase ever could. We, as Americans have failed to think big and we have failed to have foresight on how policies can impact this country negatively or positively. Instead of focusing on the why not, we focus on the can’t.

Man, Reagan and republicans really fucked this country over in more ways than one.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Fuck Trumper Filth and their Kids in the Heart with a Telephone Pole.

No Unity With Ignorant America-Hating Traitor-Scum. Exterminate them All!

There ought to be Pay-Back for four years of Hell, from the people responsible for it.

• Love
Reactions: SteveGrabowski