Dumping my car next month, insurance implications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
So after 11 years of driving + car ownership, I'm leaving 4 wheels behind for 2.

Questions -

How will this affect my insurance (if any) when I choose to drive again?

What do I do about insurance when I drive the GF's car? Am I covered under hers somehow when I drive her vehicle, or would I need to get added on as a driver? I presume the latter, but if that's the case, should you never ever let uninsured friends drive your car?

Mar 11, 2004
You would likely be covered by her insurance when driving her car. It depends on the state, but I believe its fairly common that as long as she gave you permission you're covered by her insurance.

Not sure about the rest. By two wheels you mean bicycle I assume and not motorcycle?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
You will lose any "safe driver" history you've built up over the years once you dump your insurance coverage. Obviously, you can't have insurance if you don't have a car, so there's no getting around that problem. Can you be added to the GF's insurance policy? That MIGHT keep you listed as "covered".

IIRC, we have some insurance people here. Maybe they can offer suggestions. (also, state laws may come into play that affect loss of "history" when not insured.)

joesmoke

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2007
you pay a "lapse in coverage" penalty but im sure it will be more than covered by the extra cashflow gained by your "lapse".

sometimes an insurance company will make you list the other people in your residence and they will be excluded, aside from that if she has full coverage you should be good.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
So after 11 years of driving + car ownership, I'm leaving 4 wheels behind for 2.

Questions -

How will this affect my insurance (if any) when I choose to drive again?

What do I do about insurance when I drive the GF's car? Am I covered under hers somehow when I drive her vehicle, or would I need to get added on as a driver? I presume the latter, but if that's the case, should you never ever let uninsured friends drive your car?

So you're late 20's? I've dealt with several insurance companies and each one had some sort of mid-20's stipulation that any driver under 2x years old (usually 24, 25) must be an immediate family member or spouse living at the same address to be covered. Depending on your age, I'd suggest calling her insurance company to ask.

You can always call your soon-to-be-ex insurance company to ask, too.

After all, they're the authority on the matter.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Wait, people use "Wifey" for girlfriends?

wifey = wife like gf ie) we live together and do everything together

So you're late 20's? I've dealt with several insurance companies and each one had some sort of mid-20's stipulation that any driver under 2x years old (usually 24, 25) must be an immediate family member or spouse living at the same address to be covered. Depending on your age, I'd suggest calling her insurance company to ask.

26/7

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Don't you also live in the OC? How can you even think about going carless? Especially with a dog!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Don't you also live in the OC? How can you even think about going carless? Especially with a dog!

I actually live in LA now with 2 dogs

A: I live 10 minutes away from work so I can just bike around. I bike to work, bike straight home, bike to any store that I need to, and use the GF's car on weekends/nights for trips to Costco/market

Also live 10 minutes away from the Red Line, so exploring LA's limited-but-excellent public transport

Status
Not open for further replies.