dumb question but what does cbo mean?

smokewarlock

Oct 27, 1999
im looking to upgrade my cpu and notice this term being used with the higher version of cpu what does it mean and what is stepping?

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
cB0 indicates the latest revision to the Pentium 3 core. The stepping is the same as revision number, or CPUID number.

The latest stepping usually has bug fixes and perhaps performance inprovements. The cB0 has been improved over the previous cA2 as to improve yields, in other words gain higher clock speeds.

ChrisQuickTA

Jun 6, 2000
Good question actually, I asked it about a month ago and now I am running my 650 cB0 at 866 stable as can be on a P3V4X. You WON'T be sorry, these chips kick arse, seriously!!

Chris

Ulysses

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2000
See official P3 stepping &amp; S-Spec table here:
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/p3p.htm.

Before you be buying check the CPU's S-spec (the 5-character code beginning with 'SL' that's on the chip and on the outside of the retail box) against the table to get the stepping.

All P3's @ 800 MHz and up are supposed to be cB0.

There's a new stepping coming soon to a shop near you - the c00.

:)

cliffa3

Jul 3, 2000
when is the c00 stepping that you're talking about coming out? I'm about to purchase a cpu...you responded to my other post, but i figgured since you mentioned it on this one, i'd put it here. It's not going to be CC0 stepping or CB1? How much better (if any) will it run than cB0...and should i wait on it?. Thanks for all your help.

Cliff

Ulysses

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2000
Cliffa3:
I heard in July sometime, but I can't remember any specifics. I thought I read it as c00. I don't know what its significance will be.

I assume they're trying to tweak their process to improve the yield for the upcoming 1.13 MHz chip that's been talked about.

If I remember you were looking at a 700-800. That's where I would expect the most benefit from the new stepping, but that's just speculation and please taket it as such. I think the biggest pop for overclockers from the last stepping was at the 550-700 level - again speculation.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yep, it's cC0. It's supposed to have a 5% decrease in die size. This is supposed to improve yeilds well above 1GHz. From what I read, it's supposed to go up to 1.2GHz. If your saying July, then that would be awsome, but from what I read it says August 14th. More info here: http://www.overclockers.com/articles166/

I'll be getting an i815 board. If it's stable above 150MHz, like I've been hearing, then a 750 @ 1200MHz using a 160MHz bus would be awsome. I already have the HSDRAM, so I'm all set there.