Dumb question about fans

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
So I have a few fans, that come with 3pin-headers, and I could plug them into my motherboard. But, there is no way to control their speed, correct? Unless I start tinkering with them and supply them with lower then their current voltage?

Mobo sais the fans run at 1800rpm, and god they are noisy. I couldn't for the life of me imagine ANYONE having a case with these fans installed, running at 1800rpm all the frigging time.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you plug them into a 4 pin connector, they will run full speed. Some boards (but not all) have the ability to control the speed of 3 pin fans.

There are many many options to change the speeds on 3 pin fans. The cheapest is the Zalman fan mate, or something like that. Or you could get a 4-5 fan controller that fits into a 3.5" bay. Those go for $15-$50. The sunbeam rheostat unit is very cheap.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
You'd reckon a gigabyte x48-ds4 would do the trick, but I guess not.

But really, I can't imagine any1 living with this kind of noise, so it baffles me that there's no way to control the fanspeed :p

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Sometimes the fan speed control is in the monitoring part of the BIOS.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Checked the bios, no way to change anything ... There's surprisingly little info on the x48-ds4 from gigabyte btw. Couldn't find a review of it.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
on my Gigabyte ds3p-p35 the MB controls the fan speed of my 3-pin Tuniq Tower fan. It lowers it all the way down to 500rpm when the temps are low and raises it up accordingly to full speed when the temps are high.

i'm fairly sure ur MB can do the same.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Some only control the CPU fan header, others can control all headers. The PWM (4-pin) headers can control over a range , while 3-pin fans may only have one or two steps of voltage control for them. I use a 3rd party controller on all my fans including the CPU fan. The one I use has long been discontinued, but you still may find one out there. Cooler Master Aerogate 3. But the Sunbeam Rheobus mentioned above works well and does have a 7V point indicated which should be safe for most fans. Order some fan extensions (if needed) along with the Sunbeam as they don't supply any.

.bh.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Try the health monitor software that should have come with your mobo first, then play with speedfan if you don't get what you need from the OEM utility. Speedfan only comes preconfigured for some popular mobos, others you have to configure yourself. Knowing what the OEM software finds will help in configuring Speedfan if you choose to try it.

.bh.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Thx Zagood, but the speed of my HSF is being adjusted just fine depending on load. I wanted to adjust the speed of my casefans though (zalman gs1000), which run at 1800rpm. But, even EasyTune didn't allow for any tuning.

Looks like the only way to control these suckers is through a fan-controller.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
if i remember correctly u could use speedfan to adjust the power on your board and control the fans that way.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
Thx Zagood, but the speed of my HSF is being adjusted just fine depending on load. I wanted to adjust the speed of my casefans though (zalman gs1000), which run at 1800rpm. But, even EasyTune didn't allow for any tuning.

Looks like the only way to control these suckers is through a fan-controller.

oh, heh, sorry. skipped over the "fans" part.

fan controllers are great. don't fear them.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Aigo, I've the latest speedfan, and when I turn down the percentages, nothing happens. Such a shame, 150 euro case, have to splurge even more on a fancontroller ...