Duke vs. UNC - Duke still plays dirty

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
This was 100% intentional. Did you see how he threw his elbow straight down at his face. The game had already been decided by then. Come on. Billy Packer is a dumbarse.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
The announcers got it wrong. They were just trying to keep the fires down and that's all IMHO. Every guest I had thought it was flagrant and intentional, and we're not from NC. It looked like a sucker punch in mid-air with the ball well away from arms of both of them. Tyson could barely throw such a well placed right hook.
"The announcers" = Bill Packer, who's obviously so biased towards Duke its not even funny. Jim Nantz didn't seem to agree with him, but didn't want to be confrontational on air--that's why they kept showing the replay again and again.

Obviously I'm a Carolina fan and I'm as biased as any other fan, but I still think you have to admit that this goes beyond your traditional contact foul. While I wouldn't say Henderson showed malicious intent and I won't call it a "sucker punch", he was clearly playing dangerously and "out of control" and deserves the suspension. Why did he jump up into a play while turning his head away and closing his eyes? If he was trying to shield his face from something (what I don't know--the ball was swatted away from him) why were his fists closed rather than palm open with fingertips extended? What he did was dangerous and its not surprising that someone got hurt.

My beef though is less with Henderson and more with Coach K. His comments to the media afterward angered me more than anything else I've heard from him in the past 5 years. He basically said Hansbrough "shouldn't have been in the game" in the final 15 seconds because Carolina already had a lead and the win was sealed. This from the guy who keeps his best outside shooters in within the final minute so they can run up the score shooting 3s. Basically K's letting us know that Henderson will not be disciplined, and he's letting his guys play "out of control" against a key opponent if he isn't benched. That sounds downright dirty and shameful if you ask me. I know a few coaches have encouraged this kind of play to intimidate other teams over the years. Not what I'd expect from K.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Clearly malicious. Henderson deserved being thrown out and a suspension. But, nobody deserves is more than Tyler "Elbows" Hansbrough. Maybe Roy Roy will learn to take his starters out instead of trying to run up the score.

Another year of college basketball, and another year of my dreams of the scoreboard falling as both teams crossed center court squashed.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: BDawg
Another year of college basketball, and another year of my dreams of the scoreboard falling as both teams crossed center court squashed.
Didn't Wake Forest have a nice win this weekend? Why so bitter? :D

edit: oops, forgot to say "thank you" to the Demon Deacs

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: UNCjigga
Originally posted by: BDawg
Didn't Wake Forest have a nice win this weekend? Why so bitter? :D

Yeah, you guys got to cut down the nets because we helped you back into a share of the unbalanced regular season title.

You're welcome.

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Talk about a story getting blown out of proportion. I guess it's the shock value of seeing all the blood. If his hand comes down on top of his head instead of the nose no one is talking about it. Calling the flagrant foul IMO is fine, but doesn't warrant a suspension.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: jiggahertz
Talk about a story getting blown out of proportion. I guess it's the shock value of seeing all the blood. If his hand comes down on top of his head instead of the nose no one is talking about it. Calling the flagrant foul IMO is fine, but doesn't warrant a suspension.

Oh C'mon....Duke player went in there head hunting. In boxing the duke player would be docked a point AT LEAST, just for the elbow. In basketball that is an inexcusable, flagrant, malicous "I'm gonna hurt him" move.

It's not the blood, it's the obvious malicious intent IMHO.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07
The announcers got it wrong. They were just trying to keep the fires down and that's all IMHO. Every guest I had thought it was flagrant and intentional, and we're not from NC. It looked like a sucker punch in mid-air with the ball well away from arms of both of them. Tyson could barely throw such a well placed right hook.

The video looked inconclusive to me. Looked like he went after the ball very aggressively, it got knocked away and maybe he tried changing the direction of his hand and landed midway between where the ball was originally and where it ended up. I certainly wouldn't say it was clearly intentional, nor would I say it was clearly accidental. It could go either way.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
"Short Bus" Hansbrough deserved it. I hate both Dook and the Communist Heels, but Short Bus has been getting away with murder all year.
Someone finally snapped on him.

Hell, they call him "Psycho T".

He's a walking and fouling machine, but never gets called for it.

Couple that with Dook's superior attitude, and this is what we got.

theGlove

Jan 13, 2005
thx for the link.

OMG how can you peeps say it was not intentional. The guy didnt even have has armed stretched to block the shot. Who tries to block shots with their elbow/forarm? That was clearly malicious. An elbow to the face.