Duke Nukem Forever using Unreal 2 engine

PeteRoy

Jun 28, 2004
www.youtube.com
I read somewhere Duke Nukem Forever is using a "heavily" modified version of the Unreal 2 engine, I am not impressed, this engine is over 4 years old.

But what do I care, this game hasn't come out in 12 years so despite what they like us to think, it won't come out soon.

udneekgnim

Jun 27, 2008
Originally posted by: PeteRoy
I read somewhere Duke Nukem Forever is using a "heavily" modified version of the Unreal 2 engine, I am not impressed, this engine is over 4 years old.

But what do I care, this game hasn't come out in 12 years so despite what they like us to think, it won't come out soon.

when it comes out (if ever), I doubt it will do anything groundbreaking

it'll probably just be a nostalgic, but generic FPS

PeteRoy

Jun 28, 2004
www.youtube.com
I love how 3drealms closely monitor their forums, if you post anything that sounds like a rant about Duke release date they will delete your thread immediately.

As much as we love to hate EA, they never moderate their forums like this, you can go pretty hostile in EA forums without having your thread locked or deleted.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I love how 3drealms closely monitor their forums, if you post anything that sounds like a rant about Duke release date they will delete your thread immediately.

As much as we love to hate EA, they never moderate their forums like this, you can go pretty hostile in EA forums without having your thread locked or deleted.

It's because EA also doesn't care what gamers think or say.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: BladeVenom

It's because EA also doesn't care what gamers think or say.

LOL You're right about that!

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007

You could link your source, because this way, we might believe that you are imagining things.

Anyway, I don't think this game will ever see the light of day.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006

That's because DNF has been surviving by word of mouth between gamers. There have been very few press releases about it during its release. If it were any other game, we probably wouldn't be talking about it after this long.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
I dont really care too much about the graphics. Gameplay is what im looking forward to.

"Let's rock!"

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
That game will never be released so it doesn't matter much really.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
Originally posted by: evident
wasn't DNF originally using the quake 2 engine?

Yes. And then the Unreal 1 engine, and now, or last we heard anyway, the Unreal 2. I might have skipped a step.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
can they just cancel this thing already? this is sad. who's paying these people money to make this game? thres no way this game will make back the money it cost to produce. what a disaster. this will probably be another case study in my software engineering class for failed sw projects :)

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: acheron

Yes. And then the Unreal 1 engine, and now, or last we heard anyway, the Unreal 2. I might have skipped a step.

It's gonna be awesome. There will be a port of DNF that plays well for every computer made between 1997 and 2009. Got a P233 MMX? No problem, here's a Quake 2 Engine port! From ARM PDAs to Core2 Quads there's a version for you.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: PottedMeat

It's gonna be awesome. There will be a port of DNF that plays well for every computer made between 1997 and 2009. Got a P233 MMX? No problem, here's a Quake 2 Engine port! From ARM PDAs to Core2 Quads there's a version for you.

:laugh:

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: PottedMeat

I could go for Duke Nukem on my cell phone...

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I want to know how the development team keeps their job. And how the manage to get the higher ups to keep funding this project. I cant imagine even if it does release they will manage to recoup a fraction of the cost to make this thing. It is amazing to think of all the stuff that has happened since this project was announced. Honestly, Voodo1 was the end all and we were all getting pumped up for the pentium II release.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I think the 12 year omg long time buzz around this game might help its sales, to what extent though i have no idea.

Calculator83

Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Maximilian
I think the 12 year omg long time buzz around this game might help its sales, to what extent though i have no idea.

I'd download it, if I like it, i'd buy it. That is the General trend that every consumer of software should follow. Therefore the industry will be transparent, if you're selling poo, i'm not paying 50 bux for it shrinkwrapped

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
I dont really care too much about the graphics. Gameplay is what im looking forward to.

"Let's rock!"
Thats exactly what I was thinking. People like the OP (the majority) are the reason games suck so badly these days.
They dont give a fuck how much fun it is. All they care about is if the company dumped 10 million bucks into a new graphics engine.

I'm not even going to go into my rant about time and work and quality the video game business model.

If they heard the rant a hundred times before and still cant get it through their skulls it probably wont sink in on the 101st time.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Calculator83
Originally posted by: Maximilian

I'd download it, if I like it, i'd buy it. That is the General trend that every consumer of software should follow. Therefore the industry will be transparent, if you're selling poo, i'm not paying 50 bux for it shrinkwrapped

Yep thats a good way to go :thumbsup:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I really don't see this game being much of a hit when it is released. It's just been delayed way too fucking long. I was a huge Duke Nukem 3D fan when it was out but I couldn't care less about this game.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I think the game lives on only as a joke at this point. I honestly do not believe this game is in development by the same team as announced 12 years ago. I think, if anything, the rights may have been sold off, and the project may have been discussed and resurrected for a short while with a new dev team, but there is no way a game would go from Q2, to Unreal to Unreal 2 engine. It would be the poorest business decision of he decade(s)!

So, anyway, if you noticed the OP didn't link to anything and even if there was a news leak for it being developed on the Unreal 2 engine, you can be sure it isn't the same dev team, same company or that it isn't even legit news.