Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition on Steam

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
B2F8C5A8FEAAC772B6312242C79482E72AB998BB

This one came out of nowhere - from the Steam page:

Duke Nukem 3D : Megaton Edition is the definitive compilation of the landmark first-person shooter that includes enhanced versions of Duke Nukem 3D : Atomic Edition and three unique expansion packs as well as the original version of the classic game. The iconic Duke Nukem battles it out against a slew of alien foes in the original four episode "Atomic Edition" single-player campaign and three over-the-top expansion packs that take the loudmouthed hero to a tropical paradise, a winter wonderland, and even Washington D.C. Duke Nukem 3D : Megaton Edition features polished OpenGL visuals, native compatibility with modern PC and Mac computers, Steam Achievements, and Steam Cloud support. Duke Nukem 3D : Megaton Edition will continue to receive feature updates including Steamworks-enabled online multiplayer, new achievements and integration of additional Duke Nukem 3D expansion packs.

Duke Nukem 3D : Megaton Edition includes:

Duke Nukem 3D : Atomic Edition - All four officially released episodes of the iconic shooter with carefully restored visuals, timeless gameplay, and challenging Steam achievements. (OpenGL)

Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach - Grab your water gun and sunscreen as Duke battles vacationing aliens in beach side hotels, tropical lagoons and even a cruise ship! (OpenGL)

Duke It Out in D.C. - Duke takes his special brand of politics to Washington D.C. to turn back the alien invasion set against the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, and even FBI headquarters. (OpenGL)

Duke: Nuclear Winter - Take a brutal walk through this winter wonderland as Duke gets into the holiday spirit by bringing the battle to the North Pole! (OpenGL)

Duke Nukem 3D Classic - The classic version of Duke Nukem 3D in all it's original glory. Hail to the King, baby! (DOSBox)
--------------

Just picked it up and nearly played an hour so far... man, this brings back some fun memories of playing it back in the day and Steamworks-enabled online multiplay should be a blast.

Duke Nukem 3D : Megaton Edition - Steam: 10 percent off for now..

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
What does restored visuals mean? That's the only part I'm kind of confused about. There was a high definition pack released for the enhanced version of Duke3d originally released by the mod community (don't remember the exact name) that had 3d models for guns, objects, enemies, etc.. I wonder if that's what's included here. Anyone know?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
This looks pretty awesome, too bad its only single player.

I would have loved to play duke nukem with my kids.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
What does restored visuals mean? That's the only part I'm kind of confused about. There was a high definition pack released for the enhanced version of Duke3d originally released by the mod community (don't remember the exact name) that had 3d models for guns, objects, enemies, etc.. I wonder if that's what's included here. Anyone know?

The textures are higher resolution, so they look a lot less blocky. Although the AA kind of makes it a blurry mess.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
The textures are higher resolution, so they look a lot less blocky. Although the AA kind of makes it a blurry mess.

Ah, I see. It looks like they're not using the HRP as I just compared some screenshots to the ones here: http://hrp.duke4.net/media.php HRP also contains updated textures, but the real plus IMO is the 3d models.

I already have Duke3d on Gog and played through it with the HRP pack a few years back (which I highly recommend), so this new release on Steam is pretty meh.. IMHO

Last edited:

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Anyone know how the controls are? Will it be mouselook or keyboard only? This was keyboard only wasn't it? Haven't played it in about 20 years or so lol.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
That Megaton edition is good indeed, and it seems to have received unique graphical upgrades.

I would definitely recommend it, but if you already own the GoG.com version it wouldn't be worth it, in my opinion. As far as graphical upgrades go for Duke Nukem 3D there's already many good ones out there for other versions. But, certainly, if you don't own any versions of Duke Nukem 3D at all (shame on you!) then I'd say jump on it (well, not just jump on it but buy it and play it too, 'cause jumping on it might not do much in itself).

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Did they do new textures for the dangly things on the strippers nipples? "You wanna dance?" "Shake it baby."

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
I wish they'd just port the N64 version.
I miss Duke Burger, Pig cop drones, Sub-machine guns, Grenade launcher, Dum-dum ammo, Plasma cannon, etc...