duel link dvi

BF04

Sep 25, 2004
I have a Geforce 6800 Ultra duel DVI.

Is that what their saying when duel DVI?

I want to get the Dell 30in display and it requires duel DVI, can I use my 6800? Would I then not be able to do duel display?

is there a way to do 30inch display and a 20inch display?

thanks.

acegazda

Platinum Member
May 14, 2006
Single link dvi has one 165mhz transmitter. Dual link dvi has two 165mhz transmitter. That means improved signal stregth which usually means improved picture quality. it doesn't mean it uses both dvi ports, it still uses one, its just a different type of connection. You'll still be able to use 2 monitors.

EDIT: Here's an image of the different types of DVI connectors.

krotchy

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: RedStar
well, two dvi connectors draw swords at dawn...and then, just go at it until there is only one remaining.

ack you beat me to it

Anyways, as was said before DUAL link DVI, is a DVI port which has 2 transmitters inside. Basically the DVI protocal has 3 Analog Signal Lines (RGB) and 6 Digital (2R,2G,2B) however single link which most things use only uses 3 analog and 3 digital lines for a max resolution of 1920x1200 (also 2048x1280 or something I think too). Dual Link can expand all the way to 2560x1600 and a bit further.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Dual (two) DVI connectors are for two displays. The number of links refers to the transmitters necessary to support a resolution. Until recently dual transmitters per connector were required for higher resolutions. So, you will have to check the cards specs to see if either or both connectors are dual link if that is required by any of the displays. Or something like that.