"Dude, You're Gettin' a Dell" campaign and advertising in McDonald's "I'm Lovin' It" Exec commits suicide

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Obituaries | Paul L. Tilley: 1967 - 2008
Top Chicago ad exec Paul Tilley, 40, dies apparently of suicide
DDB creative executive who oversaw marquee accounts such as Dell, McDonald's

February 26, 2008

As the top creative executive at advertising agency DDB's Chicago office, Paul L. Tilley oversaw commercials and campaigns for marquee clients such as Budweiser and McDonald's.

Mr. Tilley was named managing director of creative at DDB in September 2006, nine years after he joined the shop. Over those years, he led creative teams that came up with Dell's "Dude, You're Gettin' a Dell" campaign and advertising in McDonald's "I'm Lovin' It" effort.

Mr. Tilley, 40, died on Friday, Feb. 22. The Wilmette resident apparently jumped from an upper floor of the Fairmont Chicago Hotel Friday, and his death was ruled a suicide by the Cook County medical examiner's office.

"Life is complicated, and Paul was a complicated man," said Mr. Tilley's wife, Cristina.

Mr. Tilley grew up in Austin, Texas.

At Northwestern University, Mr. Tilley studied journalism and played bass guitar in a band called Scuttlebutt. Upon graduation, he worked in the marketing department at LaSalle Bank writing brochures and speeches.

"I think he always wanted to be in advertising," his wife said. "He loved words, and he loved wordplay. The thing he loved about advertising was that it involved words in the service of an idea."

A copywriting job followed at Tassani Communications. Mr. Tilley's print work for American Express gained notice and he moved on to J. Walter Thompson, working as a creative director. Over the years, he won a slew of industry awards for his work.

"Paul was a mentor to many, a friend to all," said Rick Carpenter, DDB Chicago's chief executive officer, in a statement. "His ability to lead, inspire, and yes, entertain will be so greatly missed."

Mr. Tilley is also survived by two daughters, Caroline and Margaret; his mother, Diana Stallings Tilley; and a sister, Elizabeth Smith.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/...6feb26,1,2832015.story

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Modeps
Sad that he's dead, but he clearly had no talent.
sure, kick a man when he's down... oh wait....

he definitely had talent and success. who doesn't know those buzz phrases?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade

February 26, 2008

As the top creative executive at advertising agency DDB's Chicago office, Paul L. Tilley oversaw commercials and campaigns for marquee clients such as Budweiser and McDonald's.

Mr. Tilley was named managing director of creative at DDB in September 2006, nine years after he joined the shop. Over those years, he led creative teams that came up with Dell's "Dude, You're Gettin' a Dell" campaign and advertising in McDonald's "I'm Lovin' It" effort.

Mr. Tilley, 40, died on Friday, Feb. 22. The Wilmette resident apparently jumped from an upper floor of the Fairmont Chicago Hotel Friday, and his death was ruled a suicide by the Cook County medical examiner's office.

"Life is complicated, and Paul was a complicated man," said Mr. Tilley's wife, Cristina.

At Northwestern University, Mr. Tilley studied journalism and played bass guitar in a band called Scuttlebutt. Upon graduation, he worked in the marketing department at LaSalle Bank writing brochures and speeches.

"I think he always wanted to be in advertising," his wife said. "He loved words, and he loved wordplay. The thing he loved about advertising was that it involved words in the service of an idea."

A copywriting job followed at Tassani Communications. Mr. Tilley's print work for American Express gained notice and he moved on to J. Walter Thompson, working as a creative director. Over the years, he won a slew of industry awards for his work.

"Paul was a mentor to many, a friend to all," said Rick Carpenter, DDB Chicago's chief executive officer, in a statement. "His ability to lead, inspire, and yes, entertain will be so greatly missed."

Mr. Tilley is also survived by two daughters, Caroline and Margaret; his mother, Diana Stallings Tilley; and a sister, Elizabeth Smith.
Probably needed some Anti depressants.:shocked:

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

February 26, 2008

Probably needed some Anti depressants.:shocked:
probably was already on them :Q

NGC_604

Apr 9, 2003
He must have finally realized the horrible effect each of those phrases had on modern society.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000

Success and talent do not have to go hand in hand... in this case, he was successful at being annoying.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001

So I guess you probably think William Hung has talent too then by your definition. . .(he was the horrible singing spastic Asian guy from American Idol tryouts who went on to make some truly horrible novelty CD recordings).

Success maybe. . .talent, no. But that kind of success is the kind I think I can live without. I'd rather be noted for how good I am at something, not how laughably bad I am at it.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

Success and talent do not have to go hand in hand... in this case, he was successful at being annoying.
ummm...yeh... i totally see where you are coming from there. :laugh:

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: ahurtt

So I guess you probably think William Hung has talent too then by your definition. . .(he was the horrible singing spastic Asian guy from American Idol tryouts who went on to make some truly horrible novelty CD recordings).

Success maybe. . .talent, no. But that kind of success is the kind I think I can live without. I'd rather be noted for how good I am at something, not how laughably bad I am at it.

nah, you're stretching it by thinking anyone would compare him to William Hung.

if you read the article i posted it calls him a "top creative executive". whether you like what he created or not it still got people interested in the products that were being advertised or else the campaigns wouldn't have ran or ran for as long. it's a pretty simple concept.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000

how many stupid commercials do you see in a day? how many do you remember?

to become legend (good or bad) takes talent, not just luck.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000

You obviously have no idea what the goal of advertising is.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: pulse8

You obviously have no idea what the goal of advertising is.

It is to get people to buy a firm's products, among other things.

At least for me, "I'm Lovin' It" and "Dude, you got a Dell" were real failures. Every time I hear the I'm Lovin' It thing I have a strong desire to eat anywhere BUT McDonald's. The Dell thing back in the day *shakes head* They're just too flippin' stupid.