Dublin Ireland Hotel Question: Central hotel or Royal Dublin hotel?

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
My fiancee and I are going to be spending 3 nights in Dublin in November. I narrowed our hotel choices down to the Central Hotel or the Royal Dublin hotel. Any suggestions?

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: cjchaps
My fiancee and I are going to be spending 3 nights in Dublin in November. I narrowed our hotel choices down to the Central Hotel or the Royal Dublin hotel. Any suggestions?

Stay at St STephens Green... you're right beside grafton, and only about 10 minutes from Temple Bar/Trinity College/Natural History Museum...

it IS south of the Liffey, but most of the good tourist attractions are down here anyways... Do you plan on spending the entire time in the city??

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I stayed in a hostel while in Dublin, so I can't help you with hotel choices... but I would definitely recommend getting outside of the city for at least a day or two. Dublin itself just wasn't as nice/interesting as I expected, but some of the areas around the city (I took the train) are still very beautiful.

Of course, you might get a bit soggy. :D

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
We are spending about a week outside of Dublin, and then 3 days in the city.

Originally posted by: blakeatwork

it IS south of the Liffey, but most of the good tourist attractions are down here anyways... Do you plan on spending the entire time in the city??

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Whereabouts are you guys staying... anywhere in particular??

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
We have a package from www.sceptreireland.com that includes open B&B vouchers. We are going to be driving around southern ireland for the week, and also over to the southwest side to shannon.

Whereabouts are you guys staying... anywhere in particular??

Jun 18, 2000
I was in Leixlip for a week and just took the bus into Dublin for 1.50 euro. Definitely a nice little town. Something I noticed, if you want to look like a tourist, make sure you drink plenty of Guinness. It suprised me how many people were drinking american brews like Budweiser.:confused: It isn't like Bud is much cheaper. A pint cost on average 4-5 euro and 5-6 euro for Guinness. Kind of steep considering the brewery is just outside of downtown Dublin.

Have fun, cjchaps!

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
6 Euro??? Where were you drinking???

Rathmines Inn, on Upper Rathgar road in Dublin6 has an excellent pub menu, with some authentic dishes (bubbles and squeak, bangers and mash).

The Inn at St Stephen's Green was the Fitzwilliams, about 3 doors down from the St S's Green Shopping Centre... if you're interested in really touring Dublin, stay there, as it's relatively inexpensive (225-250 Euro/night), for an excellent place to stay. I also would recommend the Dublin City Tour.. It's a bus tour, costs about 12 euro/pp, but your ticket is good for 24 hours, and it stops by all the architectural and cultural places of interest for outsiders, both north and south of the Liffey.

I dunno... everything's based on your personal preferences, I'm just offering a local's perspective...

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
cjchaps-

I've heard that the city of Galway is very nice and 'authentic', so you might want to check that out if you are in the area. Also, make sure you bring at least two pairs of comfortable walking shoes, because odds are that at least one pair is going to get soaked.

Knightbreed-

I noticed what you mentioned as well. It seems a lot of the Irish don't want to be 'Irish' anymore and prefer to drink Bud and listen to American rock/pop. I guess that's just our culture dominating everything. :frown: I was amazed at how hard it was to find a place in Dublin that had live Irish music. Apparently (at least in Dublin), only the tourists care to hear it these days.