Dubai tower now world's tallest free-standing structure.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Homerboy
Doesn't Japan have one under-way/planned to dwarf this one too?

No, Japan doesn't have anything in the works.

There is another proposal for a Dubai building that would edge out this one by a couple hundred feet IIRC.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: amdhunter
That is just begging to be smashed into by an airliner. At least, it's in a country where no one will care if it gets slammed or not. :thumbsup:

:laugh:

Nice touch.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I wonder if it will still be there then the oil in the Middle East runs out and Dubai is reduced a camel farm.

It's an awesome building though.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
I wonder if it will still be there then the oil in the Middle East runs out and Dubai is reduced a camel farm.

It's an awesome building though.

It is precisely because the ruler knows oil is not going to last forever that he is really developing the place into a uber resort.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I really really hate the CN tower. It is Canada's largest rip off. I can't believe people who are not engineers pay $40 a person to go to the top of that thing.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: sdifox
It is precisely because the ruler knows oil is not going to last forever that he is really developing the place into a uber resort.
Then he is wiser than many leaders.

Lurknomore

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: K1052
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
It pisses me off that you cant do cool shit like this anymore in the U.S. due to labor disputes, environmental impact studies, yada yada yada. Basicly, you cant do shit here without giving a bunch of lawyers a bunch of money. It's like the modern day mob and protection money, only lawyers have the courts behind them.

You mean something like this?

Skyscraper construction is going berserk here in Chicago, including several supertalls under construction.

Many countries propose such massive constructions but few actually follow through (namely Dubai, the US, and China).

What do they use to keep that torqueing tower stable- composites?
Most radical design I've seen so far.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
whats up with dubai, its like they are building thier own little utopia. must be a trip to live there.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Yeah, dubai is building all this stuff because they want to attract tourists and buisness, they have very little oil. It should of course be pointed out there is a darkside here, all this cool things are being built by immigrant laborers who dont get paid cr@p. There are no taxes on businesses in dubai, unions are illegal, there are very little safety regulations. Kinda sad really seeing a bunch of big US businesses deciding to move their HQ there in order to get around paying taxes and being forced to use union labor and such.

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Kinda sad really seeing a bunch of big US businesses deciding to move their HQ there in order to get around paying taxes and being forced to use union labor and such.

That's what I find funny.. there are only 2 arab nations that have diplomatic relations with Israel - Egypt and Jordan. Yet, we have no problems doing business with Dubai, Saudi, etc (oil, tourism, Dubai Open, a few celebs going to Duabi).

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Yeah, dubai is building all this stuff because they want to attract tourists and buisness, they have very little oil. It should of course be pointed out there is a darkside here, all this cool things are being built by immigrant laborers who dont get paid cr@p. There are no taxes on businesses in dubai, unions are illegal, there are very little safety regulations. Kinda sad really seeing a bunch of big US businesses deciding to move their HQ there in order to get around paying taxes and being forced to use union labor and such.

Well, if I were a business owner I would do the same thing. It's just smart business.

But anyway, the final Burj Dubai will completey tower over the Taipei 101. It'll likely be the tallest building in the world for a long, long time.