Dubai is so wonderfully progressive!

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/1ihc3j/norwegian_rape_victim_sentenced_to_1_year_and_4/

I'm linking to reddit because I haven't found a reputable english source yet.

A Norwegian woman in Dubai has been sentenced to 1 year and 4 months in Jail after she reported to the police that she had been raped. Back in 2008 there was a similar case where a Australian woman was sentenced to 8 months for being gang raped...

what a fucking shithole. In a perfect world the Norwegian military would go into Dubai and free their citizen with force and then burn all of Dubai to the ground.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Despite its modern facade it still has a legal system and culture heavily influenced by Islam and thus trends toward an immature justice system when compared to the West. If not for its quasi slave labor force paid for with black gold it would remain as it was not long ago: a country of huts and two-storey buildings.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
When traveling anywhere, make sure you know the laws.

This woman did not, if she did, she would have known, and really she should have known, that to bring charges of rape against a man, you need multiple male witnesses. What she did in the eyes of the Dubai legal system was commit fornication and falsely charge and slander a man.

The burden is on the traveler to know the pertinent laws when traveling abroad.

Dec 10, 2005

This woman did not, if she did, she would have known, and really she should have known, that to bring charges of rape against a man, you need multiple male witnesses. What she did in the eyes of the Dubai legal system was commit fornication and falsely charge and slander a man.

It is true that a traveler needs to be wary of local laws, but we can still call Dubai backwards when it comes to a justice system. And in my book, it's also morally wrong that they are prosecuting rape victims.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
I am curious as to what evidence she had (other than her word) that a rape occurred?

Hell, in American we have countless females making false rape accusations every day or females who get drunk, engage in consensual sex, regret it the next day and yell rape!

Maybe the rest of the world needs similar law (IE witnesses) to protect from false accusations.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Anyways..........

Taken from the origianal articles source:
He stressed that he did not read the judgment and therefore do not know the details of what the woman has been convicted.

ROFL.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
You guys think this is bad to to wiki and read up on Dubai's drug laws. Truly barbaric, make even America's asinine approach to drugs look lenient.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Not bad they are improving. Used to be death sentence if a woman allowed themselves to be raped still is in many countries around there.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Yep their legal system is shit and like something from the 12th century. Not sure that means the entire country is a shit hole though.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Yep their legal system is shit and like something from the 12th century. Not sure that means the entire country is a shit hole though.

It doesn't sound like their legal system is any worse than Nordic countries.

I mean there a woman can go to the police a month after having sex with a guy, after she finds out he was banging other women:hmm:, and claim rape, because he didn't use a condom like he agreed.

Only difference is this time the woman gets the short straw.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It doesn't sound like their legal system is any worse than Nordic countries.

I mean there a woman can go to the police a month after having sex with a guy, after she finds out he was banging other women:hmm:, and claim rape, because he didn't use a condom like he agreed.

Only difference is this time the woman gets the short straw.

link, and if you don't like that law then don't move to the Nordic countries. But hey you're the guy who equates rape with a punch to the jaw. So I think you long ago lost any moral authority you may have had to discuss the subject. Or have you been ass raped and are ready to discuss the experience with us?

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
link, and if you don't like that law then don't move to the Nordic countries. But hey you're the guy who equates rape with a punch to the jaw. So I think you long ago lost any moral authority you may have had to discuss the subject. Or have you been ass raped and are ready to discuss the experience with us?

No, more likely he gets rejected a lot and thinks that women are evil.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011

And to stay the hell out of sheep/goat fornicating countries in the first place.
I know! They're worse than the GOP.

Hmmm....

images

url

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
it seems the powers that be in Dubai realized their assbackwards ways do not make for good PR. Marte has been pardoned after substantial international pressure and is now free to leave the country.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
In before someone morally bankrupt inserts "overwhelming_exception.jpg" or "two_wrongs_make_a_right.jpg" to whitewash these "people".

Darkman

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2013
Yup ... I can surely find some girls of my dreams in Dubai ..... (be they locals or not) :)

katy-perry-dubai.jpg

313025869_4a7ca28afd_z.jpg