Dual processors or a mac? Help

manualman

Jun 26, 2000
I use programs like photoshop, illistrater and bryce 3d. I am not sure if it is worth it to get a dual processor or if I should just spend a little more and go for a mac. So What would I do, should I wait for socket A Amd or should I use a pentium. I have a budget and am looking at the MSI board. And is the dual processer even equivelent to a dual mac? If you know any sites or have any info I would greatly appreciate it

rigor2

Banned
Sep 18, 2000
dual p3 boards are cheap now. but mac's are better at photoshop. the powerpc is just a better floating point unit? Have you seen the kryotech mac that someones making? 1200mghz

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
in my opinion get a G4 mac if you're doing lots of graphics, but you may wanna see if theres a floating point comparison somewhere between the G4 and PIII

paulip88

Aug 15, 2000
If you are looking to get a setup to do graphics work, I would go for the Mac. This is mainly because the Mac just handles fonts and type a LOT better than Windows (which is just sloppy). Oh yeah, and the G4 FPU kicks some serious butt. Another option is to get one of the new dual G4 Macs.

If you do decide to get a PC though, I have noticed that the Socket A chips beat Intel hands down in the graphics benchmarks. Meaning the both the Duron as well as the TBird beat out the PIII.

ingenue007

Apr 4, 2000
i think i will have to get a mac notebook in the next year or so. is there anyway to overclock these things??

rigor2

Banned
Sep 18, 2000
sure. overclock it and watch that pretty strawberry colored case melt :)

oh my! my poor strawberry! oh no! i better call my hairstylist

rigor2

Banned
Sep 18, 2000
sure. overclock it and watch that pretty strawberry colored case melt :)

oh my! my poor strawberry! oh no! i better call my hairstylist

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Mac G4s are faster than x86 machines at Photoshop not just because of their FPU, which isn't all that great. The main reason I believe is the Altivec optimizations in many of Photoshop's filters. Altivec is quite a bit better than SSE and 3DNow!

loogie

Banned
Oct 18, 1999
I was under the impression that the benchmarks showing the G4 faster than PCs were heavily optimized filters favoring the G4. Whereas, the PC would be faster in the regular filters. I dunno though, to me, its a null argument really. Macs are not within my price range. The G4 cases do look pretty damned nice though, which is probably important if you're an artist or something.