Question Dual monitors, one stutters while playing youtube?

scypheroth

Oct 5, 2012
Hello everyone, i JUST got a dell 34" ultra wide 1440p monitor along side my 1080p DVI monitor. My PC specs are:
-Ryzen 5 5600 -watercooled
-16g DDR4 3800hrz
-512G M.2 and a 1TB SSD
-Gigabyte Radeon 6700XT
-700watt Gigabyte Power supply
-MSI B450M bazooka motherboard

While playing my GPU reaches 55c-60c in temps and hits 80-90% usage
CPU hits 52-53c temps with under 40% usage
Ram hits 75% usage

Here is the problem. While im playing games on my 34" in fullscreen window and youtube playing on my smaller monitor at the same time the youtube stutters....BUT when i put the game into Fullscreen stuttering stops. Any idea why? im guessing my PS is not able to handel?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
PS is not able to handel?
Why would you think that when you have a video problem? Grab hwinfo to see what kind of power you're pulling and you'll likely see you have a couple hundred watts to spare.

Going full screen frees up resources on the GPU from refreshing the rest of the desktop. Now the other issue I can see if using DVI. Switching to HDMI or dp would provide more bandwidth and rule out any possible bottleneck. Seems more like lack of resources though on the GPU.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

scypheroth

Oct 5, 2012
Why would you think that when you have a video problem? Grab hwinfo to see what kind of power you're pulling and you'll likely see you have a couple hundred watts to spare.

Going full screen frees up resources on the GPU from refreshing the rest of the desktop. Now the other issue I can see if using DVI. Switching to HDMI or dp would provide more bandwidth and rule out any possible bottleneck. Seems more like lack of resources though on the GPU.

kk well i cant do nothing about the 1080p as it only has a DVi output on it....guess ill have to get a new monitor with HDMI or DP for a second display

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
kk well i cant do nothing about the 1080p as it only has a DVi output on it....guess ill have to get a new monitor with HDMI or DP for a second display
You could try an adapter to convert it as that's cheaper than a new monitor. If you had an Intel chip with an igpu you would be able to put the 1080 on there and dedicate the dgpu to gaming only. The alternative could be a USB docking station for the fhd monitor to split it off. There's a ton of different ways to do this and keep it cheap at the same time. Even a cheap video card with DVI output would cure this issue.

Reactions: Leeea

scypheroth

Oct 5, 2012
You could try an adapter to convert it as that's cheaper than a new monitor. If you had an Intel chip with an igpu you would be able to put the 1080 on there and dedicate the dgpu to gaming only. The alternative could be a USB docking station for the fhd monitor to split it off. There's a ton of different ways to do this and keep it cheap at the same time. Even a cheap video card with DVI output would cure this issue.

i have the monitor hooked up with a DVI to HDMI cable

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Hello everyone, i JUST got a dell 34" ultra wide 1440p monitor along side my 1080p DVI monitor. My PC specs are:
-Ryzen 5 5600 -watercooled
-16g DDR4 3800hrz
-512G M.2 and a 1TB SSD
-Gigabyte Radeon 6700XT
-700watt Gigabyte Power supply
-MSI B450M bazooka motherboard

While playing my GPU reaches 55c-60c in temps and hits 80-90% usage
CPU hits 52-53c temps with under 40% usage
Ram hits 75% usage

Here is the problem. While im playing games on my 34" in fullscreen window and youtube playing on my smaller monitor at the same time the youtube stutters....BUT when i put the game into Fullscreen stuttering stops. Any idea why? im guessing my PS is not able to handel?

It is very unlikely the type of cable is the source of your problem.

The youtube stutter on the 2nd monitor is very curious. Does the sound stutters also?

This feels like a windows prioritization issue. Try:
putting youtube into a different browser: edge, firefox, chrome. Just something different then what you were doing when it stuttered. The idea is windows might prioritize a different browser correctly, or the other browser might not have the same resource consuming add-ins installed.

reduce the CPU load in the game by turning on vsync, most games can do this in fullscreen window mode. This does not fix the problem per say, but may hide it so you do not care.

I see you have a Ryzen 5600, I assume it is not the G model. If it was the G model, I would suggest you try using the iGPU for your 2nd monitor. May not fix anything, but worth a try.

Last edited:

Zepp

May 18, 2019
The youtube stutter on the 2nd monitor is very curious. Does the sound stutters also?

Try:
putting youtube into a different browser: edge, firefox, chrome. Just something different then what you were doing when it stuttered.
could it be related to chrome's problems with hardware acceleration?

might try disabling "Use hardware acceleration when available" in chrome settings and see if it makes any difference.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Yeah, I would be curious if you have tried more than one browser.

Putting the game into fullscreen, instead of fullscreen windowed, and having the issue go away is interesting. I do a very similar thing as you where I often watch youtube videos on my second display while gaming on the primary. I do not however have a DVI monitor.

Out of curiosity, do you have your ultra wide display setup to act as a virtual monitor when on the desktop? Where it can be segmented into 2-3 smaller displays?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
could it be related to chrome's problems with hardware acceleration?

might try disabling "Use hardware acceleration when available" in chrome settings and see if it makes any difference.

A few years back, I ran into a stutter issue with YouTube and Chrome on my second monitor, and I had to disable hardware acceleration (in Chrome) to fix it. It has been awhile, so my memories are a bit vague of it; however, I believe the culprit is differing refresh rates between the two monitors. Using full-screen may resolve that if the game decides to set it to 60Hz, which likely matches the older monitor's 60Hz refresh rate.