Question dual Kraken X63 - 2080Ti & Intel 10850K

JbJaDa

Nov 15, 2020
Hi there!

I have a question concerning NZXT X63 aio's and their use in my case.

At the moment I have a Phanteks P600S case which houses an Intel 10850K and a vertically mounted MSI Ventus 2080ti (loud!) and the case has room for an X63 in the front and one in the top.
The one in the front will have 4 x 140mm's push/pull.
The one in the top will have 2 x 140mm's either push or pull (because there's no room for push/pull)

I'm going to run the fans on the AIO's on a very low RPM (+/- 650) because I don't use headphones and I want my computer to be absolutely silent.

Now I'm wondering 2 things:
1. Which loop is better for which component? (which needs the better cooling from push/pull the most?)
2. For the top rad, do I use push or pull?

I'm using the computer mostly for gaming and I do a little light overclocking on the CPU (not the gpu).

I'd love your insights in the matter!

Thanks in advance!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I'm going to run the fans on the AIO's on a very low RPM (+/- 650) because I don't use headphones and I want my computer to be absolutely silent.

please do not watercool then on a AIO.
AIO were not designed for low rpm, silent fans.
You require a radiator with large fin spacing, and a really massive one on top.

Watercooling is not Yoshi's magical stomach which can just gobble up heat.
There is something called physics under conservation of energy which states energy can not be created or destroyed.
That means with low power fans, the heat will build up in your liquid cooling system untiil a very horrible equalibirum is maintained which is the result of high water temps, and you will overall be a unhappy person.

If you want a silent build, i would suggest major downvolting, using large air heat sinks, as pumps + fans are always louder then fans solo or you try to learn how to do a real porper custom loop.

JbJaDa

Nov 15, 2020
Thanks for your reply aigomorla, I'm planning on doing a custom loop when the rtx 3000 series gets a refresh.
It's just because I have both X63's that I thought I'd put them to use. (1 is an RMA upgrade, the other was bought very cheap).

Perhaps I'll use higher rpm fans, as you suggested.
Do you have an idea which part (CPU vs GPU) will get the most use out of watercooling?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
GPU benefits the most thanks to Nvidia's dynamic overboost, which boosts your turbo clock based on core temp in relationship to maximum voltage given @ cpu. Seeing tho how your going AMD, i do not know of any dynamic overboost like that, but the GPU still benefits from watercooling.

Not to mention you get a net reduction of 1/2 load temps from direct die cooling, vs the 1/4 reduction on cpu load temps.
Also if you get a expensive gpu waterblock, the ram as well as the voltage regulators are kept cool under water. Typically unless any physical damage was done on the GPU, a watercooled GPU will outlive a air cooled one by at least several years easily from the components not being under heat stress.