Dual GT200 samples in December

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
LOL @ another sandwich.

They still can't figure out how to get 'em both on one PCB? :laugh:

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: n7
LOL @ another sandwich.

They still can't figure out how to get 'em both on one PCB? :laugh:

There have been several "SLi on a card" models over the years.

In any case, I'm sure if it outperforms the 4870X2, and offers the more flexible SLi drivers, plus PhysX/CUDA/stereo, some will likely forgive the dual slot dual pcb design as compared to the dual slot single pcb design. Both take the same two slots you know?

;)

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: rjc
I might be mistaken but i think Zap was referring to a new board design for the 55nm 9800GTX+.

Yup, 9800 GTX+, not a GTX+ 260 or whatever.

Originally posted by: zerocool84
Is this one of those cards you're talking about??
GIGABYTE 9800 GTX+
I saw this today and was like wtf. It's shorter, has one PCIe power connector, one SLI connector so no 3-way SLI, and no SPDIF connector.

I also found this EVGA 9800 GTX+ which has 2 SLI connectors but no SPDIF and one PCIe connector.

Those are kind of what I'm talking about. Hmmm, interesting... in any case the "new" 9800 GTX+ should still have the SPDIF and two SLI connectors. Guess these companies are cost cutting.

Originally posted by: rjc
All the dual cards so far 7950, 3870, 9800, 4870 appear to have been 256 bit mem interfaces

That's because the single GPU version was 256 bit.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Broken
Yeah, after owning both a 7950GX2 and 9800 GX2 I will never, ever buy another dual card made by Nvidia again. Because of those cards I was very hesitant to get a 4870X2. Night and day better. Not an ATI fanboi either, I have owned way, way more Nvidia cards. Nvidia's dual card driver support is a joke, and two months later when they release a better card you can kiss decent timely driver updates that help the dual cards out goodbye. They are like the stepchildren you never really wanted but you liked the mom enough that you married her anyway.

Is this the same for SLI?

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: thilan29
Originally posted by: Broken
Yeah, after owning both a 7950GX2 and 9800 GX2 I will never, ever buy another dual card made by Nvidia again. Because of those cards I was very hesitant to get a 4870X2. Night and day better. Not an ATI fanboi either, I have owned way, way more Nvidia cards. Nvidia's dual card driver support is a joke, and two months later when they release a better card you can kiss decent timely driver updates that help the dual cards out goodbye. They are like the stepchildren you never really wanted but you liked the mom enough that you married her anyway.

Absolutely not. nVidia has the best implementation of dual-card scaling ala SLI of the 2 main GPU companies. It's the GX2's that have crummy driver support. Let's hope they fix this when nVidia introduces the GeForce 260 GX2 especially if they want to take the performance crown from ATI's HD 4870 X2.:)

evilbix

Oct 8, 2004
Is it going to be possible to set up 2 260x2 cards with a tri-sli config and the 4th gpu dedicated to physics?

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Originally posted by: nRollo

1. I was using 8800GTX SLi when Vista launched, my remaining 7950GX2 was in a XP machine.
So why didn't you upgrade your XP box to Vista? Oh that's right, you couldn't or else Quad SLI would stop working, so you really didn't have a choice.

If someone wanted to move to Vista with Quad SLI, that would pose a significant problem wouldn't you say?

Do you feel this level of support is acceptable for such a high end config?

I couldnt move to Vista because it didnt support my RAID card....cant say that was very good support either, however at the time of purchase, the hardware did what it was supposed to do on the platform it was supported on. No where on the box did it state that the product would be supported on future Operating Systems...

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: FalseChristian
Originally posted by: thilan29

Absolutely not. nVidia has the best implementation of dual-card scaling ala SLI of the 2 main GPU companies. It's the GX2's that have crummy driver support. Let's hope they fix this when nVidia introduces the GeForce 260 GX2 especially if they want to take the performance crown from ATI's HD 4870 X2.:)

Doesn't the GX2 cards and SLI sets use the same driver? I thought they'd be the same since they're both SLI based?

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: SolMiester
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Originally posted by: nRollo

1. I was using 8800GTX SLi when Vista launched, my remaining 7950GX2 was in a XP machine.
So why didn't you upgrade your XP box to Vista? Oh that's right, you couldn't or else Quad SLI would stop working, so you really didn't have a choice.

If someone wanted to move to Vista with Quad SLI, that would pose a significant problem wouldn't you say?

Do you feel this level of support is acceptable for such a high end config?

I couldnt move to Vista because it didnt support my RAID card....cant say that was very good support either, however at the time of purchase, the hardware did what it was supposed to do on the platform it was supported on. No where on the box did it state that the product would be supported on future Operating Systems...

Yep, I had to leave one box on XP to this day because Vista doesn't run MSDE and my wife uses an accounting app that runs it's database with it.