Dual Graphics Issues - Lenovo

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
I recently bought a Lenovo e555 laptop with a a10-7300 and m260dx combo. GPU-Z recognizes that there are two GPU's but refers to the second as an AMD r5 M200 series card. Unfortunately, I've been unable to get the system recognize that the m260dx even exists. Dual graphics is enabled within the catalyst software (15.7.1).

RYWNQZz.png

c6fYDwT.png

Shouldn't I be seeing something like this?

attachment.php

Here is my cinebench render score. Is this underperforming relative to where a m260dx should be?

Ka2qHYp.png

I switched out the default HD for a 850 Pro and I briefly noticed that the original OS install recognized it as a m260dx. What's going on here?

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
R5-M200 and R7-M200 are the same, I think. AMD rebrand of R5 to R7.

So I think all is correct.

Are both in Device Manager?

Can you switch between them in GPU-Z?

I think they are linked and you cannot select just one. They both work together, unless you disable one.

I think you can give the more powerful one priority by selecting Max Performance in the Catalyst Control Center?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I have to tell my W530 to use its Nvidia card as default from the BIOS. Otherwise it only uses the Nvidia card for displays connected to the VGA port and/or the dock.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
M260DX indicates Dual Graphics, according to the interwebs. So yeah, both cards work together in your laptop.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
R5-M200 and R7-M200 are the same, I think. AMD rebrand of R5 to R7.

So I think all is correct.

Are both in Device Manager?

Can you switch between them in GPU-Z?

I think they are linked and you cannot select just one. They both work together, unless you disable one.

I think you can give the more powerful one priority by selecting Max Performance in the Catalyst Control Center?

If I look at some links, I think they are separate. But we both know AMD has gotten me with this game before.
http://wccftech.com/entire-amd-rade...0-mobility-lineup-rebrands-r9-m290x-official/
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Kaveri-A10-7300-Notebook-Processor.117333.0.html

Edit: yeah, could be a link, but a BIOS selection should tell the OP for sure. Like I said, mine can be manually switched between the Intel and Nvidia.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
If I look at some links, I think they are separate. But we both know AMD has gotten me with this game before.
http://wccftech.com/entire-amd-rade...0-mobility-lineup-rebrands-r9-m290x-official/
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Kaveri-A10-7300-Notebook-Processor.117333.0.html

Edit: yeah, could be a link, but a BIOS selection should tell the OP for sure. Like I said, mine can be manually switched between the Intel and Nvidia.

BIOS has two options: Integrated and Switchable Graphics. I have switchable graphics enabled now. I've run cinebench a few times with integrated only, switchable and both on battery /plugged in. I noticed that when on battery only the integrated far outperforms dual graphics! When plugged in, dual graphics produces only 3 frames more than integrated on cinebench.

Would it be safe to say that under the best circumstances the r5 m200 only improves the a10-7300's cinebench score by 3 fps? That seems pretty bad. Might as well disable the GPU and save the power.

Last edited:

redzo

Nov 21, 2007
This is a weird and stupid combo you've got there.
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2639/radeon-r7-m260dx.html
The AMD A10-7300(kaveri) features more shaders and they are GCN 1.1 based.

First of all, your dGPU m260dx seems DDR3 based and GCN 1.0. To make matters worse, it features less shaders, rops and tmus.

This combo seems a bad joke from lenevo's behalf. They've probably fitted the a10-7300 kaveri with this in order to look good on the shelf: "You know, it's faster because it features a dGPU".

If I were you, yes, I would disable that useless m260dx. But I can see two major drawbacks that you may encounter in choosing the kaveri GPU:

1. The A10-7300's IGP eats up system memory. If you are low on system RAM, you may be encountering system memory capacity issues. That m260dx's memory it's GDDR3 and stupidly slow, but at least the m260dx uses its own memory.

2. The A10-7300's IGP's may throttle. Clocks may go down(both CPU and iGPU) because the kaveri CPU and GPU must work together and respect the max TDP chip limit(they are both on the same die). But, somehow I suspect that the kaveri's additional shader processors might compensate for its lower frequency/clocks. You need to run some real 3D game test loads in order to figure this out.

One again, What a stupid combo! :(

EDIT: I just saw the results above. Contrary to what I've just said, the difference looks quite huge to the m260dx's advantage, but I think you should also compare in game performance.

Last edited:

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
This is a weird and stupid combo you've got there.
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2639/radeon-r7-m260dx.html
The AMD A10-7300(kaveri) features more shaders and they are GCN 1.1 based.

First of all, your dGPU m260dx seems DDR3 based and GCN 1.0. To make matters worse, it features less shaders, rops and tmus.

This combo seems a bad joke from lenevo's behalf. They've probably fitted the a10-7300 kaveri with this in order to look good on the shelf: "You know, it's faster because it features a dGPU".

If I were you, yes, I would disable that useless m260dx. But I can see two major drawbacks that you may encounter in choosing the kaveri GPU:

1. The A10-7300's IGP eats up system memory. If you are low on system RAM, you may be encountering system memory capacity issues. That m260dx's memory it's GDDR3 and stupidly slow, but at least the m260dx uses its own memory.

2. The A10-7300's IGP's may throttle. Clocks may go down(both CPU and iGPU) because the kaveri CPU and GPU must work together and respect the max TDP chip limit(they are both on the same die). But, somehow I suspect that the kaveri's additional shader processors might compensate for its lower frequency/clocks. You need to run some real 3D game test loads in order to figure this out.

One again, What a stupid combo! :(

EDIT: I just saw the results above. Contrary to what I've just said, the difference looks quite huge to the m260dx's advantage, but I think you should also compare in game performance.

Would have been nice if they paired it with the m260x (GCN 1.1) instead. Oh well. Can't have everything.

The only game I've tried on this laptop is Hearts of Iron 3 - Black Ice Mod. That game is mostly CPU and RAM dependent so I don't think the GPU/Switchable is going to matter. I have my desktop for real gaming (the way it should be).

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
My FPS in Diablo 3 at 1366 x 768 with max settings:

a10-7300 Integrated Only: ~20 fps average in Tristram

a10-7300 + r5 230: 14 fps average in Tristram + massive stuttering.

It looks like dual graphics is actually a handicap for gaming with this laptop. Outside of benchmarks it seems to provide zero benefit and actually causes stuttering and lower fps. Either this is bad drivers or lenovo just made a retarded decision to pair a shitty GCN 1.0 with Kaveri for marketing "oh look! dual graphics!"

I just turned off the r5 m230 in bios and it's never getting re-enabled. Why do they even makes chips like this? Seems like a complete waste of silicon.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
It is unfortunate that AMD is still pulling this. Either put a good card in there, or just leave default video in the laptop and refer to it as such. You are by far not the first person in these forums to fall for this little trick.

redzo

Nov 21, 2007
Lenovo is mostly to be blamed here I think.
For example, if the kaveri CPU model would have been inferior to this one(including its iGPU), this dGPU would have turned out quite alright.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Asymmetric Crossfire is, quite bluntly, shitty. Extremely sketchy support beyond benches, and inferior to a single good dGPU.

BTW, don't we have quite a few iGPUs nowadays that beat the Mars/Sun GPU?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Asynchronous Crossfire is, quite bluntly, shitty. Extremely sketchy support beyond benches, and inferior to a single good dGPU.

BTW, don't we have quite a few iGPUs nowadays that beat the Mars/Sun GPU?

I think that you meant to say Asymmetric Crossfire?