Question Dual Gbe NICs that support channel bonding in Win10?

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I've got two NAS units that have dual GBe NICs and support channel bonding, and just bought a semi smart 16 port switch that also supports channel bonding, what is missing is a dual NIC card for my PC and key point supports channel bonding in the Win10 driver, not just server OSs. Win10 1809 removed channel bonding from the native MS non server OS drivers, so it has to be a card the Intel specific drivers will work with, like I350-T2, "I think", anybody know?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Intel dual ports NIC definitely worth it (pre-owned is OK) , but where did you get the info that Win10 1809 removed channel bonding ?

Try SMB multichannel first, the feature has been added since Windows 8.1

Newer NAS probably already has built-in SMB 3.0

Tested OK between my two Win10 VMs, no special equipment and no configuration required. Each VM got 2 virtual NICs and 2 DHCP IP addresses.

Untitled.png

==

Network Teaming.

The Youtuber is using one Realtek and one TP-Link NIC.

In his video, I only see outgoing traffic on both NICs, incoming traffic only happened on one NIC, however.

some said it doesn't work after Windows 10 2004

Last edited:

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Thanks, I'll look into that stuff.

This from the Intel site. https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...0020905/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

The "catch" I've read with the stuff below is that the software may not be happy with less than a Intel / Intel NIC, ie doesn't see HP or Dell even if they use Intel chips.

NoteTeams and VLANs supported on Windows® 10:
  • If you're running Windows® 10 Anniversary edition (RS1), you need to install Intel LAN software v22.1 or newer.
  • If you're running Windows® 10 Creators Update (RS2), you need to install Intel LAN software v22.3 or newer. Intel® Advanced Network Services (Intel® ANS) won't function until you update to the 22.3 release.
  • If you're running Windows® 10 Version 1809 (RS5), you need to install Intel LAN software v23.5 or newer.
NoteIntel® PROSet for Windows* Device Manager isn't supported on Windows® 10 Version 1809 (and later).
Use Intel® PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility instead. The installer will determine which utility to install based on the operating system you're running.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
There are 2 options to achieve channel bonding.

1. MS's SMB 3.0 multichannel. Which is supported and enabled automatically since Windows 8.1. Nothing to configure and no smart switch needed. Your NAS unit probably is too old to have SMB 3.0 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block
  2. Networking teaming. Which requires driver support, a smart switch/managed switch supports 802.3ad protocol (Link Aggregation). Which is supported by your NAS, but you need to enable it. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/888699/Lenovo-Ix4-300d.html?page=28
Used HP dual ports NIC like NC360T uses INTEL chip 82571EB.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks, I'll look into that stuff.

This from the Intel site. https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...0020905/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

The "catch" I've read with the stuff below is that the software may not be happy with less than a Intel / Intel NIC, ie doesn't see HP or Dell even if they use Intel chips.

NoteTeams and VLANs supported on Windows® 10:
  • If you're running Windows® 10 Anniversary edition (RS1), you need to install Intel LAN software v22.1 or newer.
  • If you're running Windows® 10 Creators Update (RS2), you need to install Intel LAN software v22.3 or newer. Intel® Advanced Network Services (Intel® ANS) won't function until you update to the 22.3 release.
  • If you're running Windows® 10 Version 1809 (RS5), you need to install Intel LAN software v23.5 or newer.
NoteIntel® PROSet for Windows* Device Manager isn't supported on Windows® 10 Version 1809 (and later).
Use Intel® PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility instead. The installer will determine which utility to install based on the operating system you're running.

It only asks you to use newer driver/utility, it doesn't say it's not supported after 1809.

==

How to Set up Teaming with an Intel® Ethernet Adapter in Windows® 10 1809?

Teaming not available through Device Manager anymore, but still available through PowerShell commands.

Last edited:

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Lots more searching and asking of questions, no disrespect intended, but nobody saying I did this and it worked, some though saying I used to do something and had to switch to newer NIC.

I bought this morning a i350T2G1P20 off ebay, maybe here in a week.

Most recent searches on Intel site it "seems" like only a few cards will work with Win10, i210, i350t2, i350t2v2, and i350am2, long list of others that aren't dual port and/or CAT wiring.

Others very "likely" may work, but I eventually was totally out of a may work mindset. One person suggested all I needed was ONE supported Intel device for the software to recognize and it would then team with any other NIC of any brand. Considered, maybe as just a test, but again the certain to work list of Intel cards was short and none were cheap. Current most desired card looks like the i350T2V2, and China sources on ebay were still like $100.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Thanks, video not in English, but didn't really hinder following what he was doing. I actually considered 2 port version of card he used, but as far as I could tell it was a Intel chip, but not an Intel card, which may or may not work depending on licensing or some such. Shows up in searches for i350am2, but didn't see a listing branded as Intel, so skipped.

Saw that ad on ebay, details too fuzzy. None of the images clear enough to read the numbers and the listed UPC is for a different card. I bought the i350 that has a serial port and ribbon connector on the bracket above the two RJ ports for $27. Looks like a week of waiting for it to arrive and test.