Dual Display - Onboard Only vs. Onboard+9500GT?

SleepyItes

Dec 1, 2001
I just got a new AMD Trinity processor and mobo for our living room HTPC, which formerly had a GeForce 9500 GT. I'm pondering what, if anything, to do with the 9500GT. It was considered entry-level even back in 2008 ($77), so I'm not expecting miracles out of it. Still, it may have a use...

My "office" computer is currently using onboard Intel HD 4000 graphics, which is hooked up to a 1080p LCD and a 480p plasma. I mainly use it for internet browsing and watching the occasional video. This is working fine for me, but I do notice some video stuttering from time to time, especially when I'm watching a video on the plasma and doing something else on the LCD.

From what I'm able to find online, the 9500GT should be on par with the onboard HD 4000 graphics, so all things the same I would save power and just run the onboard graphics. However, I'm wondering if running the plasma off the 9500GT would help at all with the occasional stuttering issues, since each monitor would have its own graphics processor. Seems like it would help, right?

I guess I should just install it and do some tests. Probably the only definitive answer :) I'd still like to get your feedback.