Dual core E8500 idle vs. load temps

JustStarting

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
my E8500 is strange to me..... at least at idle.

Idle temps are 6-8C different between cores. Load temps are within a degree.

Anyone seen before this or have an explanation?

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I haven't that much of an extreme...

I have seen 3c with my E8400

I can think of 2 things...

1) temperature reading issues....wolfdales have long had temperature reading issues. What program are you using?

2) proper application of thermal paste or AS. Now remember AS has a new application procedures for dual cores....It is not a pea size drop in the center but muore like a line the size of long grain rice to make sure you cover both cores....go to their website and make sure you are applying correctly.

JustStarting

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Had Ceramique on there.... switched to AS5 using AS procedure. Rebooted- same temps. Using Core Temp, Speedfan and CPU HWMonitor...... all reporting the same delta T between cores at idle. Same temps under load?

Dec 30, 2004
I wouldn't worry about it. Intel guarantees accuracy on the temps only in the upper ranges (as in, the temps don't need to be accurate when the processor is at room temp, because thermal management won't need to kick in). Perhaps you've simply got a funky diode which is passing a slightly different amount of current at room temp than the small signal model predicts.

JustStarting

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Thx.

I wasn't really all that concerned seeing that the temps equal out under load where it really matters.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: JustStarting
Thx.

I wasn't really all that concerned seeing that the temps equal out under load where it really matters.

Yeah mine do this a bit too, core 0 is usually about 3-5C higher up until about 60-65.