Dual Celeron paid $390: Please Comment...

hk29

Jan 28, 2001
Guys,

What do you think of this computer I just won off of ebay? Was it worth the $390? I kind of got over excited again bidding. After I won, I got this sick feeling that I paid too much for it. Let me know. And if anyone knows how this system would perform let me Know.

I will be running win2k and doing a lot of graphics and multitasking.

thanks,
hk29

CPU
2 Intel Celeron 900 Mhz chips With intel fan's this is the box version comes complete with a 3 year Warrantee through Intel.

Mother Board
PC Chips M790MR
Spec's
The advanced features of the VIA 694x System Board include: Dual FC-PGA Pentium® III 500M~1.13GHz, Pentium® II 233~550MHz and Celeron 266~1.0GHz CPUs with frequency at 66/100/133MHz in Socket 370 for ATX Form Factor. Provides 3 DIMMs for PC133 SDRAM modules, and memory size is expand up to 1.5 GB. Highest performance, 128-bit 3D AGP Graphics Accelerator with 64MB (max.) frame buffer embedded in North bridge; up to 1920x1200 16M resolutions, AGP V2.0 Spec. Complies. Provides an AMR slot; DirectSound AC97 Codec on board, for Audio and Modem applications. 2MB Flash ROM on board, provides complete Advance Configuration Power Interface (ACPI) and Legacy PMU; Ultra DMA 66; fully compliant with PC'97 and PC'98 Spec. Provides ATX power connector supports various functions of ATX Power such as Suspend, Shutdown, Wake on LAN, Wake on Modem, Wake on Alarm, Interrupt Wake-Up from Keyboard/Mouse, and Keyboard Power On/Off. Built-in Hardware Monitor circuit supports thermal, power and fan speed monitor. Supports PC 99 Color Connector for easy identification of peripheral devices. More specs see www.pcware.com

Case
Case is a Mid tower with a 300 Watt PS

Hard Drive
WD 40 GIG 7200 RPM

Memory
PC 133 256 Meg

CD Rom
56X

Video
ATI RAGE 128 Pro 32MB AGP

Sound
Compliant PC97 2.1 specification Supports 18-bit ADC (Analog Digital Converter) and DAC (Digital Analog Converter) as well as 18-bit stereo full duplex codec

Modem
AMR V.90 Modem 10/100 LAN

Peripherals
Win 98 Keyboard ,Mouse, Speakers

AMDPwred

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
Was it worth the $390? I kind of got over excited again bidding. After I won, I got this sick feeling that I paid too much for it.

Please tell me your joking.

AMDPwred

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
No you didn't, you got a damn good deal. If you want, I'll take it off your hands for $390.

AGodspeed

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2001
hk29, did you get 2 Celerons, a motherboard, case, hard drive, memory, CD-ROM, ATi Graphics card, modem, keyboard, mouse, and speakers all for $390? If you did, you got a very good deal. Congratulations. Btw, I don't think you can run 2 Celerons in dual mode. I'd check up on that. Either way though, good job!

hk29

Jan 28, 2001
Hmmm ... I know that you can run the celeron 300-400 in SMP (celeron I). Not sure about the celeron II. I sent him an email, I'm interested to see what he says. I'll keep you guyes posted.

thanks for the heads-up!!!!

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
The PPGA celerons were SMP enabled, however, the FC-PGA ones (Coppermine128 core), ie the 900MHz version, are SMP disabled. They will not function in dual mode.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
You got ripped off just for the fact that you bought a dual processor system, that uses processors that won't run in SMP. Only the classic Covington and Mendocino PPGA Celeron's worked in SMP.
The Coppermine and Tualatin core Celeron's are totally SMP disabled.

He also sold you a cheap POS motherboard.

At least you got an ecellent video card for non-gaming use.
And an excellent hard drive.

Besides that nothing really stands out though, and he gae you a crappy board with two processors that arent even SMP capable!!

Definite rip off!

blackhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 1, 2000
Always be wary of something you win by paying money!

As above said, you have a combination that doesn't work as its implied. The individual parts are okay but no great deal because you didn't get a system, you got parts.

I dont get much off e**y except software and some older hard to find parts. The rest is overpriced generally & ebay is full of amateur and professional dealers/sellers.

S0me1X

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2000
In short, 390 is too much for what you are getting.

2 Celeron 900s costs around 90 dollars
WD 40GB 7200 rpm is around 90 dollars

the motherboard is PoS ~50.

Daniel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yep not a bad price on the setup, assuming it was actually what you wanted, aka the dual cpu problem, they surely are not smp enabled.

mfavin

Apr 20, 2001
It would be more accurate to say the latest Celeron is SMP disabled, as the functionality is there but just nerfed, similar to the 128k cache that is clipped.

hk29

Jan 28, 2001
thanks for the information. I am disputing with the person right now. But he continues to claim it works. I realize that win2k wills till boot up, but it just won't run SMP. what's the use of having two processors if you can't run SMP? Nothing!

Okay, again I kind of got excited about the deal :(

thanks again!!

hk29

Jan 28, 2001
I finally recieved contact from the seller. He said he would refund my money back ... thanks again for the help!!! This is a great forum!

zzzz

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2000
Now buy yourself a Tyan tiger and two durons for cheap smp or go all out and buy two AthlonMP chips.(Do XP work is smp?)

josphII

Banned
Nov 24, 2001

<< In short, 390 is too much for what you are getting.

2 Celeron 900s costs around 90 dollars
WD 40GB 7200 rpm is around 90 dollars

the motherboard is PoS ~50.
>>

i agree. and all the other components combined (case+ps, mouse, keyboard, memory, cdrom, speakers) wouldnt be much more than $100, if that. total cost less than $350 for sure. i hope your price includes shipping. and what people are saying about the celeryII's not being smp capable is correct. i wouldnt go so far as to say it was a rip off but you over paid and DIDNT get an smp system!

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
I'd consider it a ripoff if it was advertised as a dual CPU Celeron 900 MHz system since that is impossible.

From what I know, the AthlonXPs will work in dual mode, but aren't guaranteed to. Only the AthlonMPs are guaranteed to work.

hk29

Jan 28, 2001
Don't worry. The seller did say I would get my money back on Monday. I'll have too look for a good deal for dual AthlonMP .... let me know if you know of any good places...

flood

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999

<< Yeah, Athlon XPs work in SMP mode.

Dual Morgans + Tyan Tiger S2466 MPX = processing heaven :p
>>

XP's wont work in smp on the MPX, only MP's :p

The Tyan Tiger MP supports all socket a chips in smp. See the server in my sig :-]

veryape

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
I'm not trying to be a pesimist but I hope for your sake that this seller is honest and will indeed refund you your money. I'd ask him why he has you waiting until Monday for the refund, because I see no reason for you to wait since you never recieved anything and nothing was sent out. If he gives you any crap, take it up with egay.

Good Luck,
John-Paul AKA veryape

ASK THE COMMUNITY