Dual Booting is VERY cool

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Ausm, Oct 15, 2000.

1. Ausm

Ausm Lifer

I am dual booting Win2K professional and WinMe is there anything I should know from an optimization standpoint when Dual booting?

Ausm

2. RSI

RSI Diamond Member

Hey ausm,

Congratulations on getting your dual-boot setup running. I am in the same situation as you, booting Win2K Professional and WinME. I don't think there is anything you should know from an optimization standpoint. I also don't think that you will be booting to WinME very often.

I wish I had kept Win98SE instead of WinME... You should have also. :(

-RSI

3. utopia

utopia Platinum Member

hey, same here! Are you guys on the same partition? I am (not sure if its so bad), FAT32 for both, drive C for both.

4. Stealth1024

Stealth1024 Platinum Member

WinME really that much worse than Win98SE?

5. BCYL

BCYL Diamond Member

Stealth1024:

No winME is not that much worse than win98... It's just that MS release it too quickly (as with all their other OSs) and a lot of the bugs are not yet fixed... wait until the first service pack, it will get much better...

6. Ausm

Ausm Lifer

I got Win ME on the C partition and Win2K on the D partition and I am loading programs which run on both Os's in the same location...working well so far

Ausm

7. SUOrangeman

SUOrangeman Diamond Member

The only thing worth doing may be to use the same swap space (provided you have a FAT volume available.

-SUO

8. abracadabra1

abracadabra1 Diamond Member

nice dissertation su :)

9. utopia

utopia Platinum Member

Ok, i am just screwed... ME just friggin messed up my whole drive, now i have to reformat :(

10. jhu

jhu Lifer

quadruple booting is also cool

11. SUOrangeman

Good call, jhu. I'm actually going for a fifth with Solaris. Doesn't like my i810 box as far as I can tell. :(

-SUO

12. NOX

NOX Diamond Member

RSI

I agree I use Win98SE for gaming and Win2k for everything else. Since I can't use the 2nd CPU in games, which I play, I figure using Win98SE for that only wouldn?t hurt! Actually better FPS when using Win98SE.

13. jhu

jhu Lifer

damn orangeman. you beat me again. i guess i could quadruple boot on vmware running under windows...

14. vailr

vailr Diamond Member

Six-way boot: Win2000, Whistler beta, WinME, Win98SE, BeOS, MacOS 8.0(under Basilisk II).

15. snow patrol

snow patrol Diamond Member

Ok, I'm going to be hopping on the dual-boot bandwagon this evening, with Win 2000 (not sure which version exactly) and Win 98 SE. What's the best way to go about this? Is it simply a case of getting a hold of partition magic, and spliting the hard drive in two, then installing win2000 on the newly created partition? Or do I need to format before partitioning?

btw: where can I download Partition Magic?

16. nateholtrop

nateholtrop Diamond Member

Whistler? where di you get that??

17. SUOrangeman

18. PG

PG Diamond Member

I have a dual booting question for you guys. I had win98 on one drive and win2k on another. It did work OK for about a month, but now when I try to get to win98 I get: Invalid System Disk, Replace the Disk, and Press any Key. I have win98 on my C: drive and win2k on the D drive. These are seperate drives and both are Fat32. Under win2k I can still access the C drive and all my data appears to be intact. How could this happen? I don't understand. It worked fine for quite some time. I had Norton SystemWorks on the D drive for win2k first, and then I installed it on the C drive under win98 also. But it worked for a while this way. Is Norton my culprit? Is it possible that my mbr is toast?
    If I boot from a floppy, then switch to the C drive and type fdisk/mbr will it fix my C drive? I am worried about this because I don't know where the win2k multiple boot manager thing is installed. If I nuke it and the fdisk/mbr thing doesn't fix the C drive, then I wouldn't be able to get to any operating system and I would be dead.

Any suggestions?

19. vailr

vailr Diamond Member

Set each drive to be independantly bootable, whether the 2nd drive is working/attached or not. Boot from floppy & FDISK: set primary partition active. Do this with each drive, one at a time, ONLY one drive attached to the IDE cable at a time. Then reconnect both drives. Control which drive boots up by means of bios settings: master drive boots with both drives showing in bios; slave drive boots when the master drive is manually reconfigured as "None" in bios (whether still physically present or when physically removed from system). Even though not detected in bios, the master drive will still be seen by Windows, once the slave drive has booted.