Dual Booting? how-to's, links, anything!

krazykilroy

Aug 14, 2001
I'm about to build a new system, and install XP on it. But in case I don't like having big brother watching me, I also want to go back to 98 if possible.

How do I install two Operating systems? how do I get them to choose between one or the other?

Do I have to install each on a separate hard drive, or can I have both one one drive?

someone give me some links or answers please!!!

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
Install each OS on a different partition (you can have more than one partition on a drive).

You must install Win98 first. It does not necessarily have to be on C:, but some boot files from Win98 must reside on C:.

Install WinXP last, on a different partition. It will automatically detect that you have Win98 installed (as long as you have all drives plugged in), and create the boot menu for you.

That's pretty much it.

You will probably want to read the FAQ: When I dual boot, do I need to install everything twice?

krazykilroy

Aug 14, 2001
That's great. now, how do I access one or the other? Like, how do I get to use win 98Se when the comp immediately boots to XP???

AKA

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
It wont immediately boot to XP.. you will see a bootmenu.. by default it gives you 30 seconds to choose which OS you want to boot into.

superflysocal

Nov 4, 2000
I have win 98 on one hard drive. I just bought a new hard drive and plan to install win xp on it. Would the same apply as different partitions? Can I just boot from the win xp CD to format the new drive and install at the same time?

Finally, in this scenario, should I format with NTFS (and use NTFS for WIN 98 for compatibility) or FAT32 with the new drive (I know I cannot format a drive over 63gb under winxp directly)?

thanx