Dual 1.4GHz PIII - any specific types of PIII's required?

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
I've got an HP server with a single 1.4GHz PIII and would like to occupy that second slot. Can I install any ol 1.4GHz PIII or are there server specific models? Any changes to the OS required when adding that second CPU?

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
Update: Device manager states "ACPI Uniprocessor PC"..does this mean I have to reinstall the OS on that thing?

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
Yes, you can put another PIII 1.4ghz processor in there if it's a dual processor board (obviously). PIIIs can be put up to Dual processor configurations, for more than 2, you need a Xeon processor. The pentium 4 on the other hand made dual processor configurations not possible therefore requiring the Xeon Processor once again.

For the OS on the otherhand, you'll more than likely have to reinstall as the method to to turn a uniprocessor system into a dual processor system in the OS not only isn't easy but I was unsuccessful in doing so in my situation. If you can find a guide online that works for you, good for you as that would be obviously the better option but the solution I tried to make it work isn't exactly a 'clean one'. Basically, reinstall.

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
What exactly did you do to try to turn it into a dual OS config that didn't work for you? I'd much rather not have to do this as it's a production server that needs some serious uptime.

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
You need a P3-1.4/512 or P3-1.4-S proc. The P3-1.4/256's will not run in SMP mode.

Canterwood

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
If its a socket 370 board, then you need a PIII 1.4Ghz Tualatin core 512k L2 cache.

If its a slot, then its probably a PIII Xeon I'd assume.

If you have Windows 2000, you can manually update to an ACPI Multiprocessor hal through device manager.
No need for reinstallation, but a reboot is required.

XP or Server 2003 will automatically install the Multiprocessor hal, but again a reboot is required.

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Canterwood
If its a socket 370 board, then you need a PIII 1.4Ghz Tualatin core 512k L2 cache.

If you have Windows 2000, you can manually update to an ACPI Multiprocessor hal through device manager.

XP or Server 2003 will automatically install the Multiprocessor hal, but again a reboot is required.

Tried that, didn't work.

Canterwood

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Philippine Mango
Originally posted by: Canterwood

Tried that, didn't work.
So have I and in my case it worked flawlessly.

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Originally posted by: dexvx
You need a P3-1.4/512 or P3-1.4-S proc. The P3-1.4/256's will not run in SMP mode.

here is your correct answer.

but first verify that your existing 1.4ghz/p3 is in fact, is the S-model with 512KB L2 cache. otherwise don't waste your time.