DTV Converter Box

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
My dad got 2 of the DTV convener box coupons

Is there any box that is heads above the rest or are they all pretty much the same?

sivart

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
I personally like the LG (uh, Zenith) and GE best. My grandparents are using the GE units mainly because the remote has punch through controls for your TV power and volume (plus the buttons are a little bigger)

zzuupp

Lifer
Jul 6, 2008
As far as tuning & picture quality, my limited experience & from what I've read: they're all pretty much the same.

If he has a need for some specific features, then it can get more complicated:
wiki: CECB comparison chart

Analog pass through-- Feb 17 might move. Low power stations have always had an indeterminate date.
Manual channel add-- tv stations from opposite directions?
Program guide - now/next ; one day ; one weekend ; one week

Also, they all initially are energy star timer on. After the boxes are hooked up, and scanned for channels, go into setup and adjust that setting. Otherwise, they'll turn off every few hours.

sivart

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
If I remember right, the Insignia and the Zenith are both made by LG, with different brands stamped on the front.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: sivart
If I remember right, the Insignia and the Zenith are both made by LG, with different brands stamped on the front.

correct

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
I've been using a Zenith that I picked up last May. It works fairly well. The only problem I had was with the sound settings. Leaving it on Stereo caused the volume to be very low. Turning it to Mono fixed the problem.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Blayze
I've been using a Zenith that I picked up last May. It works fairly well. The only problem I had was with the sound settings. Leaving it on Stereo caused the volume to be very low. Turning it to Mono fixed the problem.

Not sure I have this problem. Have you tried both forms of output?