DSL/Cable contract is up. Do you own the modem?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I've been wondering about this. I have Southwestern Bell (SWB) DSL. I signed up for a year, which is up next month. I have every intention of continuing my service.

The package they were offering at the time was; "Sign up for a one-year contract and get a free modem and NIC." It was "free" but I had to pay for it up front, then I had to mail in a rebate form and I was issued a check for the full amount I paid. So it was free, minus a stamp to mail the form.

Do I own this modem now?

*EDIT*

I have DSL thru my phone company (SouthWesternBell) I don not have cable.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Check your paperwork.

I've got a DSL line and modem, and free in my case means that I incur no monthly rental fees for the use of the modem. It was a special deal where I could either sign up for an extended contract and get a free(use of) DSL modem, or I could go contract free and pay a monthly usage fee of anywhere from $7 to $15 depending upon model number of modem.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
If you've got a cable modem, chances are no. I've worked for three major cable internet companies, and none of them have customers that own their modems after the contract is up. You're most likely leasing the modem.

nik

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001

<< Check your paperwork.

I've got a DSL line and modem, and free in my case means that I incur no monthly rental fees for the use of the modem. It was a special deal where I could either sign up for an extended contract and get a free(use of) DSL modem, or I could go contract free and pay a monthly usage fee of anywhere from $7 to $15 depending upon model number of modem.
>>

Hi Vi-Edit,

You know...I don't know if I saved the mumbo-jumbo legalese paperwork...I have to look. I pay $50/mo for my 1.5mb down/128k up line...so it definitely ain't "free" or anything. They never tell you anything on the site that advertises the service...go figure.

I thought about calling the phone company and just asking (duh) but 90% of their CSR's don't even know what a "modem" is, anyway...I'll look for the paperwork. Thanks. :)

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Thanks, Bozo1. I am thinking the same thing...I just would like to know for sure. BTW, do you know if DSL modems are "universal?" I.E. can I take my modem that I use w/SWB DSL and use it on QWests' lines? me\<--not that smart on DSL/Cable modem technology

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
With Cox Express you either lease it or own it, in my case i bought mine...