Dry Amorphous vs. Crystaline Structure

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Is this related to chemistry/chemical structure?

If so, Crystalline structure is something like diamond: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_structure
And an Amorphous solid is similar to Jello.

Yes, im a Chemistry noob. But those are REALLY easy to remember

If this isnt about chemistry, or im totally wrong. Pretend i wasnt here

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
chocolate bar: amorphous.
Next?

Tell you what. Let's make it easy. Food, right?
Crystalline:
rockcandy1.jpg

Pretty much everything else: amorphous. (at least, I can't think of any other foods that have a crystalline structure, unless you're talking about ice crystals on something in the freezer, or ice crystals that form if your milk gets too cold.)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005

If so, Crystalline structure is something like diamond: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_structure

Yes, im a Chemistry noob. But those are REALLY easy to remember

If this isnt about chemistry, or im totally wrong. Pretend i wasnt here

I'd probably just go with:

Crystalline structure: repeating pattern of identical units in 3 dimensional space (like a salt crystal, ice, ....)

Amorphous solid: no repeating pattern, but still solid, like a glass (windows, etc...)

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Next?

Tell you what. Let's make it easy. Food, right?
Crystalline:

Pretty much everything else: amorphous. (at least, I can't think of any other foods that have a crystalline structure, unless you're talking about ice crystals on something in the freezer, or ice crystals that form if your milk gets too cold.)

SugarCookies_Close.jpg

What about foods with both! :D

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I came in here all excited because it's one of the few technical things asked here on ATOT that I know (materials engineer)... then found it already answered.

Ah well

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
What about foods with both! :D

Oh nooooooo!

OP! I forgot about cookies with sugar crystals on top, and the salt on pretzels.

Salt: if you see it, it's crystalline. If it's been mixed into (dissolved) anything moist in food, it's going to be amorphous.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

In materials science terms, an amorphous material is one that lacks a crystalline structure (long range ordering of atoms). The most common amorphous solid is glass (moten SiO2. Depending on how they are processed, many ceramics, metals, and cermets are also capable of having either an amorphous or crystalline structure.

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

Lets not forget salt.

EDIT: Sigh. I should read the whole thread. My bad.

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Oh nooooooo!
Salt: if you see it, it's crystalline. If it's been mixed into (dissolved) anything moist in food, it's going to be amorphous.

Can you appropriately classify a dissolved solid as "amorphous?" My understanding is that the crystalline/amorphous descriptors only apply to solids.

Dec 10, 2005
Can you appropriately classify a dissolved solid as "amorphous?" My understanding is that the crystalline/amorphous descriptors only apply to solids.

Yeah. I wouldn't classify something dissolved as amorphous; particularly salt would split into its constituent elements when dissolved. And it's really not solid anymore either if it is dissolved.

Dec 10, 2005
What if I put salt in my Jello?

Depending on the amount of time it takes for the jello to solidify, it could force the salt out of solution back into crystalline form. Or you'd have an amorphous solid (no defined order in the molecules); gelatin is a colloidal gel (evenly dispersed particles to make the solid, so I guess the salt could get trapped and be evenly dispersed as well. Though, materials chemistry isn't really my area of expertise.