Drunk Driver Destroys A House Here

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
This happened Wednesday at 11:00PM:

drone-photo-1-e1565875858367.jpg

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news...-provide-update-on-old-east-village-explosion

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/explosion-fallout-community-rallies-behind-displaced-families

:mad::(

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Holy crap that sucks. Hopefully she's held liable for all the house damage... but sadly probably won't and everyone will have to go through insurance. Years back some guy here stole a Jeep in my city and rammed through a bunch of properties destroying fences, cars etc, he ended up slamming in my boss's truck, moving the truck far enough to slam into a project car that only had minimal insurance. Now common sense would tell me this guy should be held liable for all the damage but nope, everyone who had damage was on the hook. The guy who stole the Jeep was "arrested" and eventually released with zero punishment, and the Jeep owner is the one who got in trouble for keeping it unlocked. Pisses me off.

My city is getting bad for this sort of stuff. Theft and violence has been skyrocketing in the past couple years and not much is being done. God forbid you build something without a permit though. :eek: They'll be all over your ass for that.

Jan 25, 2011
7 houses destroyed. Guy I work with lived less than a block away and was home when the explosion occurred. Unhurt and undamaged but scared the shit out of him when it went off.

23 year old woman drunk going the wrong way down a one way street that ended at the cross street. Into the House she went at full speed.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
7 houses destroyed. Guy I work with lived less than a block away and was home when the explosion occurred. Unhurt and undamaged but scared the shit out of him when it went off.

23 year old woman drunk going the wrong way down a one way street that ended at the cross street. Into the House she went at full speed.
my co-worker's son lives within a block of the explosion and caught some of it on his phone. My co-worker lives off of Oakland ave and felt the explosion. I live too far east to have heard or seen the explosion.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Holy crap that sucks. Hopefully she's held liable for all the house damage... but sadly probably won't and everyone will have to go through insurance. Years back some guy here stole a Jeep in my city and rammed through a bunch of properties destroying fences, cars etc, he ended up slamming in my boss's truck, moving the truck far enough to slam into a project car that only had minimal insurance. Now common sense would tell me this guy should be held liable for all the damage but nope, everyone who had damage was on the hook. The guy who stole the Jeep was "arrested" and eventually released with zero punishment, and the Jeep owner is the one who got in trouble for keeping it unlocked. Pisses me off.

My city is getting bad for this sort of stuff. Theft and violence has been skyrocketing in the past couple years and not much is being done. God forbid you build something without a permit though. :eek: They'll be all over your ass for that.

That's insane. imo one of the biggest problems in modern society is that we don't hold people accountable for serious stuff like this. People get thrown in jail for long periods of time for ridiculous things, but then other people get off for "affluenza" or something silly.

In the last season of Jessica Jones, the lawyer said something that was both horrible & clarifying...she was representing a known serial killer and said something along the lines of, it's not our job to determine guilt & put bad people away, it's our job to get our clients off the hook. The line was more eloquent than that, but I had never really thought about it from that perspective before - a lawyer's job is not to find the truth in the situation, but to go to battle for their client to get the charges dropped or pared-down. Which is scary, when you think about it, because the focus then becomes the argument, not the historical action & appropriate consequence.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

That's crazy that the poor choice of one person caused that much damage...thank goodness no one was killed...

Reactions: Iron Woode

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yeah her picture makes me think she definitely has an IQ in the high 200s:

0816-lf-daniella-leis.jpg

Duckface should be illegal and you get thrown in prison if you're caught doing it

Jan 25, 2011
That's crazy that the poor choice of one person caused that much damage...thank goodness no one was killed...
It's amazing how many things came together to prevent it from being any worse.

She was going the wrong way at high speed on a relatively busy street. The people from the house she hit weren't home at the time. The house next door was vacant and there was a 12 minute delay between impact and explosion which allowed police fire and neighbors time to get everyone else out. Of the 2 cops and 4 firefighters who were injured only one was seriously hurt. His coat was laying on the side of the road covered in blood yesterday where they carried him to after it exploded.

The driver walked away uninjured.

Here's a video of the actual full explosion too. 30 seconds in.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

She was going the wrong way at high speed on a relatively busy street. The people from the house she hit weren't home at the time. The house next door was vacant and there was a 12 minute delay between impact and explosion which allowed police fire and neighbors time to get everyone else out. Of the 2 cops and 4 firefighters who were injured only one was seriously hurt. His coat was laying on the side of the road covered in blood yesterday where they carried him to after it exploded.

Dang, Murphy took a day off!!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

"Hey, be sure to cover the hottub, eh?"

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003

WOW. Yeah, it's definitely a miracle there weren't way more hurt or killed.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
UPDATE: 2 more homes have been torn down due to safety issues.

estimated costs are in the 10s of millions. I guess we will find out the amount later on.

A benefit concert is planned for Sunday.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Damn that's crazy. Sucks that people lose everything because of some wreckless POS person. But yeah at least it's good nobody got hurt or killed so there's that.