Drug war has gotten to a new level of nutso

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Problem is the prosecution knew exactly what to say to the jury to convict them. All they needed to do is put one doubt in the jury's mind and that's all. They painted a picture, even in the article it mentioned that prosecutor said he is the reason the drug trade continues because of his skill and expertise to build such compartments that he was helping the drug trade. That and the one dealer mentioned something in court about a kilo. Weather true or not that's all the jury needs to think that this guy is rotten and a lying drug trafficker.

Sucks and the jury system sucks as well. The prosecution knew exactly what to do to win this. He wouldn't snitch, so they need something they need a case and if its not them its you, that's what they are also paid for besides taking drugs off the street. So much for a war on drugs, wars at least end.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Doesn't matter what percent. There are people who just carry cash and don't believe in banks. For whatever reason. It is not illegal to carry around however much you want in cash anywhere.

And I assume those people are smart enough to have a safe installed in their hose.

Maybe the guy likes to buy and sell mansions in cash only. Doesn't his own transporting of the money. Or maybe it's based upon ultra expensive cars. Who knows?

Point is, you can't state anyone carrying that kind of cash is a drug dealer and bust them over it. It's stupid.

You do realize banks are required to report amounts over $10,000 to the government right?

I think its pretty safe to assume the guy installing the compartments knew what was going on. In fact if you read the article he freaks out when he sees the $800,000. Probably because he knew seeing that much money shot is "I didn't know what the compartments were for" deniability.

EDIT: And as additional evidence against the guy the Shady Mexican Gangster wanted him to install a compartment in his other car. I mean come on. Basically you have to believe the guy is the most naive person in the world for him not to realize what was going on.

Last edited:

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
You do realize banks are required to report amounts over $10,000 to the government right?

You do realize that the government isn't going to do a damn thing if the report proves the cash money is earned/used legitimately? There is nothing inherently illegal about using cash, even in large quantities. Banks are required to report it, okay, but I don't think car hiding place builders are required to.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
And I assume those people are smart enough to have a safe installed in their hose.

I think its pretty safe to assume the guy installing the compartments knew what was going on. In fact if you read the article he freaks out when he sees the $800,000. Probably because he knew seeing that much money shot is "I didn't know what the compartments were for" deniability.

EDIT: And as additional evidence against the guy the Shady Mexican Gangster wanted him to install a compartment in his other car. I mean come on. Basically you have to believe the guy is the most naive person in the world for him not to realize what was going on.

What the hell does banks having to report money have anything to do with a private cash transaction between individuals?

Again, not everyone believes in banks. Some very rich people don't believe in banks, or at least US banks for various reasons. I've known someone that had to fly out of country, get cash, come back in to the country, and use that cash to buy something very expensive. It happens. No government involvement was needed nor was it illegal. Drug dealers aren't the only people who may carry around large amounts of cash or need to transport it. Not everyone wants to hire an armored car company to do it either for them.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
24 years for seeing a large stack of cash?

ohhh this guy is soo bad.

people get far far far less for KILLING someone.

And some people and institutions get no time (in fact many get bailed out by tax payer dollars) for collapsing the economies of most 1st world nations because government is to corrupt and/or incompetent to prosecute.

It is fucking ludicrous if you ask me but hey that's big government for you and the "Wars on..." bullshit.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
And some people and institutions get no time (in fact many get bailed out by tax payer dollars) for collapsing the economies of most 1st world nations because government is to corrupt and/or incompetent to prosecute.

It is fucking ludicrous if you ask me but hey that's big government for you and the "Wars on..." bullshit.

agree.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Have you never heard of all cash business deals or house sales? Granted they are not often done with actual cash but that does happen

The presence of banks or wire transfers does not make using $800,000 in physical cash to buy something illegal. Perhaps it was for property, a down payment on a yacht or plane - perhaps he is paying someone back for a loan and wants to keep it out of bank records because he is embarrassed about needing the loan (gambling problem, affair/illegitimate child payoff)

I am not saying this is likely the cause but you cannot prove that the $800,000 was for drugs nor can you prove that one of these situations was not the cause.

But perhaps you two do not believe the burden of proof is on the accuser?

I like how everyone ignored this post I quoted, he is 100% right. Last time I checked you were innocent until proven guilty.

So unless they proved 100% that the money was for drugs and not only that but also proved 100% that the guy knew the money for drugs this is a completely bogus charge and just the cops/judge abusing their power.

And since there is no mention of them proving anything of the sort in that article posted this guy is innocent but they put him away anyways.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Lets say your friend comes over to your house and asks you to store his handgun for a while.

vs.

Lets say your friend comes over to you house with blood splattered all over his shirt and asks you to hold his gun.

See why context matters?

Is it illegal to have the amount of cash in question? Is it illegal to hide the amount of cash in question? Is it required by law that any person seeing that amount of cash speculate or ask about where it came from? No further context is required.

If the answer is no to all of those questions could you then tell me exactly what this guy is guilty of?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Did I miss something in the article? Is this guy a bank or was he working for a banking institution that required him to report that cash even though he wasn't actually taking possession of it like if it was deposited in a bank account? Hell, is there ANY law that required this guy to report the cash that you can site?

What relevance does any of that have?

Is having large amounts of cash legal? If not, what is the precise amount in which it becomes illegal?

Is it legal to hide large amounts of cash in your own property?

Are you required by law to speculate how large amounts of cash were obtained if you are to see said large amounts of cash?

Since we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty it is up to the accuser (the State) to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Unless the answer is yes to one of the above questions, I don't see how you could prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Hell, I don't see how you could even charge the poor bastard but obviously the cops tried to use him for leverage to find other cash cows that said cops would get to keep at least portions of (their department not the actual cops) and because the guy didn't play ball he is looking at decades in jail.

The fact that this is perfectly ok with some of you is pretty disgusting. The ONLY reason this guy even faced the kind of charges he did is because of a pure profit motive by the government. Read that last sentence again and again until it sinks in, are you really comfortable with the government having a profit motive to charge you with crimes and put you in jail regardless of your innocence?

Last edited:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Seems like he was in the wrong, but 24 years is much more than the 3 years typically given. Vindictive judgements irk me to no end. Anaya should have told the guys to get lost.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
How many people are terrorists? That doesn't stop the government from attempting to monitor every email sent and every phone call made.

If we can stop just one child from becoming addicted to drugs, it's worth banning gasoline.

Made my night!

Oh, and I agree with the first bit, too.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
He did? Why? Because he saw some money? So when you see someone with a stack they are automatically a drug dealer?

Those questions were answered in the course of a trial and he was found guilty by a jury.

Frankly its ludicrous to pretend he didn't know what he was doing.

BTW, I'd like to see more bankers prosecuted as conspirators in crime; that would rely on similar common sense that cash doesn't grow on trees.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Did I miss something in the article? Is this guy a bank or was he working for a banking institution that required him to report that cash even though he wasn't actually taking possession of it like if it was deposited in a bank account? Hell, is there ANY law that required this guy to report the cash that you can site?

What relevance does any of that have?

Is having large amounts of cash legal? If not, what is the precise amount in which it becomes illegal?

Is it legal to hide large amounts of cash in your own property?

No one was prosecuted for having or hiding large amounts of cash.

Lets put it this way. Its perfectly legal to bury a bloody knife in your backyard. But if your friend comes to your house with a bloody knife and asks you to bury it for him and you do, do you want to make a bet you may face legal trouble?

Are you required by law to speculate how large amounts of cash were obtained if you are to see said large amounts of cash?

Since we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty it is up to the accuser (the State) to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Unless the answer is yes to one of the above questions, I don't see how you could prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Hell, I don't see how you could even charge the poor bastard but obviously the cops tried to use him for leverage to find other cash cows that said cops would get to keep at least portions of (their department not the actual cops) and because the guy didn't play ball he is looking at decades in jail.

The fact that this is perfectly ok with some of you is pretty disgusting. The ONLY reason this guy even faced the kind of charges he did is because of a pure profit motive by the government. Read that last sentence again and again until it sinks in, are you really comfortable with the government having a profit motive to charge you with crimes and put you in jail regardless of your innocence?

Actually I think the only reason the guy face charges was because of his own profit motive. In case you really believe that Anaya was ignorant of what was going on consider this quote from the article:

Anaya stumbled back from the truck’s cab, livid. “Get it out of here,” he growled at Esteban. “I don’t want to know about this. I don’t want any problems.”

Why is he so worried about discovering the money? Maybe because it destroys his claims of plausible deniability about knowing what was going on?

I think it is pretty clear he was willfully looking the other way and pretending not to know what was going on so he could pocket some extra cash.

Is his 24 year sentence excessive. I would say yes. But he is hardly an innocent man.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Refusing to do something AFTER you see 800k in a compartment? I suppose his clients were just going to let him walk away right?

He is basically doing all either as an accomplice or under some sort of duress where he essentially has no choice where refusing basically is a death sentence.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Refusing to do something AFTER you see 800k in a compartment? I suppose his clients were just going to let him walk away right?

He is basically doing all either as an accomplice or under some sort of duress where he essentially has no choice where refusing basically is a death sentence.

The problem is he would have no reason to be afraid of what the people storing 800K in the secret compartment might do to him unless he thought they were Mexican gangsters.

Being afraid is in fact proof that he thought he was helping people engage in illicit activities.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
The problem is he would have no reason to be afraid of what the people storing 800K in the secret compartment might do to him unless he thought they were Mexican gangsters.

Being afraid is in fact proof that he thought he was helping people engage in illicit activities.

What else is he supposed to do at that point? He's had his choice for all intents and purposes removed from him at that point once he realized he's gotten himself involved with a cartel unknowingly.

Actually come to think of it, I don't think the mexican cartels mind very much if you snitch to the police, they just take their business elsewhere and leave you on your way.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
What else is he supposed to do at that point? He's had his choice for all intents and purposes removed from him at that point once he realized he's gotten himself involved with a cartel unknowingly.

Actually come to think of it, I don't think the mexican cartels mind very much if you snitch to the police, they just take their business elsewhere and leave you on your way.

But why would discovering $800K in a secret compartment make you suspect they were part of mexican cartels?

Multiple people in this thread have insisted that is an entirely normal thing to do...