Drug Company to Pay Just $15.4 Million Over Doctor Bribery Scandal...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
Humalog has been out since 1996. It costs the UK $3/vial and people in the US $275/vial. IP has nothing to do with that.

You are very much correct, but you can't say shit like this:

Under capitalism, a competitor could produce and market this for far cheaper and this company would either have to lower prices or go bankrupt.

without taking into account IP.

Companies should be allowed to profit from their investments, within reason. That's where regulations come in.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
So you believe that IP should stop being a thing?

I was responding to a comment that was blaming this shit on capitalism. I was attempting to opine that no capitalism has been found. I don't know the answer with respect to IP. On the surface the current IP law seems harmful to U.S. citizens.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
I was responding to a comment that was blaming this shit on capitalism. I was attempting to opine that no capitalism has been found. I don't know the answer with respect to IP. On the surface the current IP law seems harmful to U.S. citizens.

I would argue that lack of price controls is what's most harmful. I'm not an IP law expert but anything other than abolishing it would lead to the exact same outcome if there aren't any price controls, the only thing that would change would be the length of the window that companies have to exploit their patent for maximum profit.