Drudge Headline: 'HEALTHY' LUNCHES SPARK RAT INFESTATION

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
It is the same, and it creates the same issue. All Muslims become tainted by the actions of their fringe because too few Muslims speak out against them. Note that this does not mean all Muslims are terrorists, just this doesn't mean you're one of the wing-nut lunatic fringe. But, in both cases, when the fringe elements of one's ideology are not shouted down by the mainstream, the fringe becomes the face associated with the ideology.
I don't think the issue is that non-extremists do not denounce the fringe, rather for most people, the fringe is the only exposure to Muslims they have. I know there are moderate Muslims, but I do not see them, I have not experienced knowing some, just because where I live there is not a sizable Muslim population.

For example, I know a lot of conservatives in my life, and they are very kind, respectful, generous people. I have more opportunity to know people in greater depth than what can, for example, be conveyed in a Drudge Report headline.

My initial intent was to offer a simple observation, that by attacking the left instead of the nutter loons embracing this asinine story, you tend to get associated with those loons. That was my $0.02. I fully recognize your right to respond or not respond as you see fit.

Part of it was like reverse psychology. His statement was an equivalence to the original post. I read it more as a joke. You're going to define conservatism based on one random website headline? Fine, I'm going to define liberalism based on your complaint of a random website headline.

Last edited:

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Cubby1223. I swore you accused me of stalking you and somehow getting your email address and emailing all your friends. Yet you for whatever reason continue to post in and follow me in any thread I start or am in, knowing full well I have you on Ignore. It seems rational that you would just stay away from me. It's just weird that you don't.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Yes, that may be the case. There may be a few sane conservatives who "think" they have great ideas and see this stupidity for what it is; stupidity. But the caricature of what Drudge posted today is what I believe and what I think most honest people would argue the present day conservative movement has boiled down to.

I think Doc Savage is trying to argue that not all are like that. Noone ever claimed that. But the vast vocal majority that the politicians seem to cow tow to are. And just because he doesn't want to believe that the Drudge Report is a reflection of what the conservative movement is. It is.
I think you're conflating two things. The majority of rank and file Republicans are sane, for lack of a better word. They are honest, hard-working people who still embrace traditional conservative values. They do not embrace much of the nonsense coming out of the GOP, but see the GOP as the lesser evil compared to more liberal Democrats.

The problem is these "sane" conservatives aren't that active in politics, and they tend to skip the GOP primaries. The loons, on the other hand, are highly motivated. They are passionate about their fringe views, and they do vote in primaries. Thus, we have increasingly seen GOP leaders who support these fringe views, or who at least pander to them. The sane rank and file come along for the ride. Look at all the long-serving mainstream Republicans who've been Tea Partied in the last couple of primary cycles.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
I think you're conflating two things. The majority of rank and file Republicans are sane, for lack of a better word. They are honest, hard-working people who still embrace traditional conservative values. They do not embrace much of the nonsense coming out of the GOP, but see the GOP as the lesser evil compared to more liberal Democrats.

The problem is these "sane" conservatives aren't that active in politics, and they tend to skip the GOP primaries. The loons, on the other hand, are highly motivated. They are passionate about their fringe views, and they do vote in primaries. Thus, we have increasingly seen GOP leaders who support these fringe views, or who at least pander to them. The sane rank and file come along for the ride. Look at all the long-serving mainstream Republicans who've been Tea Partied in the last couple of primary cycles.

So, what am I conflating? How do you know the rank and file are sane? And what is a movement defined by?

And again, my initial question was "Is this what the conservative movement has boiled down to".

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
It is the same, and it creates the same issue. All Muslims become tainted by the actions of their fringe because too few Muslims speak out against them. Note that this does not mean all Muslims are terrorists, just as this doesn't mean you're one of the wing-nut lunatic fringe. But, in both cases, when the fringe elements of one's ideology are not shouted down by the mainstream, the fringe becomes the face associated with the ideology. It's a matter of perception, accurate or not.

I'm not suggesting you're a Drudge regular or that you need to condemn Drudge as a whole. I'm focused specifically on this story and suggesting you might repudiate it. I replied to you specifically because you've often shown that you are one of the more reasoned conservatives and not the fringe.

But you're a big boy and you certainly don't need me to tell you what to do. My initial intent was to offer a simple observation, that by attacking the left instead of the nutter loons embracing this asinine story, you tend to get associated with those loons. That was my $0.02. I fully recognize your right to respond or not respond as you see fit.
Please explain to me what Drudge did that was so wrong and exactly what needs to be repudiated in your opinion.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Food we feed our kids is finally palatable to rats?

rofl-16c.gif

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Food we feed our kids is finally palatable to rats?
lol +1

Filthy human beings are everywhere, regardless of their political ideology...this is a fundamental reality of the world we live in. I was actually referring to the content of the article...not the comments below the article which I didn't read initially. So tell me something...do you think it's reasonable, or rational for that matter, to extrapolate from this article (and, to throw you a bone, some of the comments below the article) to conclude that this all somehow embodies the conservative movement?
Well said. The comments to virtually any nationally exposed story greatly resemble a refreshing swim through the septic system, and serve as much use. Why anyone would read them boggles my mind.

Its pretty clear that the rats are a problem, because school food programs were expanded, and more food is served and thus more waste right?
Partially. More food is being served (causing more spoiled food), there aren't enough refrigerators to store it all (giving rats first crack as well as causing unnecessary spoilage), and kids aren't eating as much of it (causing more spoiled food.) Significantly increasing the variety served (especially that purchased fresh and cooked on site) can be a challenge to any school system.

You want a WTF moment, there are 190,000 school lunches served in this system, but there are also 70,000 breakfasts and 30,000 suppers. 16% of these students are being fed exclusively at school. How is it that these "parents" (or "guardians") still have custody? Screw "reading is fundamental", feeding the damn kid comes first.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
So, what am I conflating? How do you know the rank and file are sane? And what is a movement defined by?

And again, my initial question was "Is this what the conservative movement has boiled down to".

Then let me answer your question - no.

Is this the end of the thread now? :p