Drowning Pool's Williams Died Of Natural Causes

Atrail

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
(9/26/02, 6 p.m. ET) -- Drowning Pool vocalist Dave Williams died of natural causes resulting from a heart problem, according to a spokesperson at the Medical Examiner's Office Of Northern Virginia.

The band's tour manager, who posted on the group's website message board as Shawdog, let fans know that a toxicology report came back negative. "Nothing found, and this is the truth, my friends," he wrote.

The report confirmed that the singer died of a heart problem and that the death was not drug or alcohol related.

Williams, 30, was found dead in a bunk on his tour bus on August 14. The band was in Manassas, Virginia, traveling to the following day's Ozzfest stop in nearby Bristow. His final show had been August 13 at Verizon Wireless Music Center in Noblesville, Indiana.

The tour manager and group's guitar tech found Williams's body. Further tests came about after an initial autopsy was inconclusive.

Shawdog stated the band had been watching DVDs overnight, and while he admitted Williams was known to drink socially at times, he is adamant that the singer was not a substance abuser of alcohol or drugs.

Neurotica, one of the band's on this year's Ozzfest with Drowning Pool, agrees. Neurotica singer Kelly Shaefer told LAUNCH. "This was a different kind of person. This wasn't a guy with a drug problem or any of that, y'know, he was just lovin' life, on top of the world, just getting ready to record a new record and something went wrong; a combination of something caused him to leave the planet. Y'know everybody hit home a lot, and we had to continue to play and perform and carry on the madness without him, which was very strange, because he was very much a part of every day, being out there. He hung out with everybody. Ironically, we were supposed to get up and do 'Creeping Death' with Dave, talked about it the last day, in Indianapolis."

-- Darryl Morden, Los Angeles and Darren Davis, New York
Link

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I would have put my money on drugs, alcohol, or some combination thereof, but it's some vindication for those who defended him in prior threads.

Doesn't bring him back, though, so at this point it's somewhat meaningless.

Viper GTS

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
I would have put my money on drugs, alcohol, or some combination thereof, but it's some vindication for those who defended him in prior threads. Doesn't bring him back, though, so at this point it's somewhat meaningless. Viper GTS

Same thoughts here...this is good to know, although unfortunately he's still dead.