Drove a 2012 BMW 650i Convertible last night

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Holy crap what a car! Smooth, comfortable, fast, stylish... expensive.

My friend drove down last night to visit and we went out for sushi so he asked if I wanted to drive his car. Of course I took him up on his offer... who wouldn't?

The car is white with black leather interior. A work of art really. $100 grand of rolling art.

We put the top down and I drove out one of my favorite country roads to the 15 freeway and this one on ramp I take every day. There is a long steep downhill leading to a right hand on ramp that transitions to a pretty steep uphill (I liken it to Eau Rouge at the Spa-Francorchamps racing circuit). I took it at about 45mph and punched it, we were quickly doing 100mph and I had to brake because we were coming up on a truck that was barely going 50mph.

Love the heads-up display that shows miles per hour. It also will show navigation commands apparently but I knew where we were going.

That turbocharged V8 pumps out 445hp and it really moves this car when you mash the gas pedal. It is such a comfortable car too. Very luxurious and smooth. You could drive this thing for hours and not feel tired. Great brakes, great handling, great feedback through the steering. There is nothing I could fault about this car, well, except maybe that I can't afford one.

Edit: pic... do you like my 'merican flag?

Last edited:

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
The only purpose of this car is to make other people feel inadequate and show off because no one ever can actually afford this. All you should ever drive is an Accord because that's the best thing ever made.

That's right.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
The only purpose of this car is to make other people feel inadequate and show off because no one ever can actually afford this. All you should ever drive is an Accord because that's the best thing ever made.

That's right.

Actually, it's his wife's car. He drives a Lexus RX350.

She is out of the country on business so he drove her car down to visit. Can't say I blame him. It's a REALLY nice car. :p

Coincidentally, he owned an Accord for 10 years.

Sep 7, 2009
Just want to chime in with the "I love my bmw"

They are, for the most part, works of art. Granted, the 'real' works of art (6 series, m cars) are funded by 328s driven by spoiled college kids, but I'm ok with that.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

They are, for the most part, works of art. Granted, the 'real' works of art (6 series, m cars) are funded by 328s driven by spoiled college kids, but I'm ok with that.

I'll third that. A 335i European Delivery is taunting me right now.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I can see it depreciating before my eyes. It looks like they're only $70 grand in rolling art these days. Did he really pay 100 large for it?

Turbo V8 is sweet though. Pretty good output for a 4.4 liter. You said it's putting down 445hp did he have it tuned or something? Edmunds sais 400hp stock.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I can see it depreciating before my eyes. It looks like they're only $70 grand in rolling art these days. Did he really pay 100 large for it?

Turbo V8 is sweet though. Pretty good output for a 4.4 liter. You said it's putting down 445hp did he have it tuned or something? Edmunds sais 400hp stock.

My mistake. I was looking at the 2013 model which got a bump in power. His car is 400hp.

It was in the low $90k range. Close enough to $100k IMO. They had a 2010 650i coupe they traded in for this one.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000

Bitter are we?

If anything a $100k 6 series is likely pretty high margin a profit center. Built off the bones of a much cheaper 5 series with loads of high margin extras and the could and convertible premium.

The 3 and 5 sell in volume to pay off those platforms but 6 series and m6 and m3 buyers are huge money makers. I'd imagine that TT buyers are high margin too when they are based on the golf etc

Anyone think the headlights on the 6 look a little dull. I live the rest of it but something is missing there

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Hate convertibles myself. Nice car, for sure, but i'd pick the hard top.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I am from a subtropical island... If I wanted wind in my hair, I would ride a bike.

Have you ever owned a convertible? I've owned one myself and driven plenty. I really like the top down motoring experience. Drive the back roads out to Vegas or to Palm Springs with the top down or on a winding mountain road.

I ride a bike too but still love convertibles. I would definitely own another one some day.

I'm not that into the 6 series either but the current model is worlds more attractive than its predecessor (same with the 5 series).

I like the new 5 series. It is a great looking car. Glad to see they are finally getting away from those ugly Bangle designs.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I'm not that into the 6 series either but the current model is worlds more attractive than its predecessor (same with the 5 series).

I'm not interested in the 6 series for the same reason I'm not interested in the 5 series, it's too big. Personally, I prefer the size of the 3 series, specifically the M3 or soon to be M4. Actually the M3/M4 is the only BMW I'd consider buying.

Now on the Mercedes size, many more options. The SLS would be my dream Mercedes. :) A perfect balance of sportyness, style and sophistication. Just a beautiful car.

Last edited:

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Look's very Jaguar-ish to me. Like it a lot. I would assume it is a blast to drive and cruise in.

For those who ask why people buy convertibles....seriously? It's totally a different feel cruising in a car with the top down on a great day. Is it good for all-out performance or for keeping heat in within the winter? No. That's not the point. For the other 97% driving needs, hard-tops do the trick fine.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Look's very Jaguar-ish to me. Like it a lot. I would assume it is a blast to drive and cruise in.

For those who ask why people buy convertibles....seriously? It's totally a different feel cruising in a car with the top down

Ill say, feels like driving a wet noodle. :awe:

Unless its a smaller lighter 2 seater car from ground up, eh Miata, Boxster, MR2, etc

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
I can appreciate the handling of a BMW but in my opinion this car has no character and looks bulky.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I'm still not old enough to like a 6'er design. ;) I'll take an F10 5'er at a lower price even if I weren't paying any day. Now THAT is sexy even if not more exclusive.

BTW, I don't think I've ever seen a 6 driven aggressively. Ever.

Last edited: