Dropped my Sony a99

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Any ideas on what this would cost to repair?

Am I better off taking it to a local camera shop or the Sony store?

oqzGs2y.png

OctaneZ

Jan 6, 2001
OOF, that really sucks. Is it just cosmetic or are the boards damaged too? I would at least call the 800 number and find out how much a bench fee would be!

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
The camera still works perfectly fine, it's all cosmetic..I'll call around tomorrow to see what my options are.

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
I think that's what I would do. I doubt a repair shop could get a new housing and transfer everything into it

I bet they could, but I don't think he'd like the cost.

This is why cameras with Magnesium bodies cost more, and why pros tend to use them. :-D

I dropped my old Nikon half a dozen times, a few from table-top height, and it had a few notable dents, but never broke the seals, nor affected the performance.

Realistically, just gluing the bit back on and calling it a day is probably the solution. If you don't have the bit, I suggest duct tape.

And I'd point out that all of the best pros I've worked with had some gaffer tape or duct tape somewhere on their equipment. Because it's not the cosmetics of the gear that matters.... :)

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Follow ebay looking for a busted ( internally ) A99, buy the shell, watch a youtube vide on how to replace?

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Ouch! Like others said, the repair would be prohibitively expensive. I would check if its still perfect functionally and use it as-is. How high did it fall from? Did it hit concrete, ground, etc?

This is why cameras with Magnesium bodies cost more, and why pros tend to use them

The A99 is a magnesium alloy body.

Last edited:

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
From what height did it fall?

Not high at all..maybe about waist level onto the sidewalk.

I was trying to put the strap on because my hands were full so I grabbed it by the flash which ended up slipping off (guess it wasn't screwed on tight enough =/)

It's actually the most annoying feature that I have to put an adapter on top of the Sony shoe in order to use a Sony flash.

Basically this thing:

ADPMAA.png

screws onto the Sony body and the flash attaches to it. I just got this recently so I'm still getting used to that, whereas every other camera I've had you can grab it by the external flash with no issues.

Lesson learned :)

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
Sony does some stupid crap with their hotshoe... proprietary adpaters that don't fit some of their own flashes. (to be fair, I think they inherited it from Minolta).

Every other camera in the world uses the ISO standard hotshoe. :-D

Sorry to hear about that, tho... Duct tape to the rescue!

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
When Sony bought out Konica-Minolta, part of the agreement was for Sony to use Minolta's proprietary hotshoe for x amount for years. Now Sony is changing to ISO standard hotshoe, but its not yet deployed across their whole product range.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
When Sony bought out Konica-Minolta, part of the agreement was for Sony to use Minolta's proprietary hotshoe for x amount for years. Now Sony is changing to ISO standard hotshoe, but its not yet deployed across their whole product range.

Why is this only on my A99 and not the A65 that I had?

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Why is this only on my A99 and not the A65 that I had?

When A65 was released, Sony still had to use the old Minolta hotshoe. The A99 came out later. I think A99 and A58 are the only SLT bodies that use the new hotshoe. If you don't want to use that adapter with external flash, you have to get one of the newer external flashes for Sony like HVL-F60M. Its huge and pricey, though.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Seems like the simplest thing would be to send it in and let them replace the out casing, assuming the camera works. I can't imagine a piece of plastic to cost that much. Good luck!

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Dropped my Note II today, luckily i have Best Buy insurance, so will be out 3 days or so until i get another one back.

Feb 10, 2000
Ouch! That blows. Honestly I think it would bug me and if it were my camera I'd be willing to pay a few hundred bucks to fix it, but it would probably cost much more than that, and most people are not OCD the way I am about such things.

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
Ouch! Like others said, the repair would be prohibitively expensive. I would check if its still perfect functionally and use it as-is. How high did it fall from? Did it hit concrete, ground, etc?

The A99 is a magnesium alloy body.

The Sony cameras use a Magnesium Alloy "body" (internal frame), but are made of plastic housings... A bit like Canon's 5d series.

It's a smart marketing ploy to make it sound as robust as a D800 or 1D, but it's false, in the end.

http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/DSC03229.jpg

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
The Sony cameras use a Magnesium Alloy "body" (internal frame), but are made of plastic housings... A bit like Canon's 5d series.

It's a smart marketing ploy to make it sound as robust as a D800 or 1D, but it's false, in the end.

http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/DSC03229.jpg
That is quite a bold statement. IMHO, all present cameras have plastic bits that can break, and the "pro" magnesium bodies may not break as easily, but it can dent.

I have own many cameras in the past and my plastic Canon AV-1 only suffered some cosmetic scratch after it dropped on to a rock face from 10' above. My all metal construction Canon F1-n had a dent on the prism finder after it dropped at a lesser distant than the AV-1. And, Currently I own a Canon 5D mkii.

08-Sony-A99-Magnesium-Alloy.jpg

Sony A99

6773440004_b21064142f_z.jpg

Nikon D800

sidebyinwhite.jpg

Canon 40D

canon-7d-magnesium-body.jpg

Canon 7D

3_3.jpg

Canon 5D mkii

Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-Body.jpg

Canon 5D mkiii

1154px-2012_Nikon_D4_magnesium-alloy_frame_2012_CP%2B.jpg

Nikon D4

canon-eos-1d-x-magnesium-frame.jpg

Canon 1D X

Last edited:

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
I dropped my nikon from about 2 ft up and the lens motor busted, it depends how it landed, xD. Good luck!