Drop Out, Obama

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
http://www.slate.com/blogs/blo...t-obama.aspx?GT1=38001

Drop Out, Obama

By Chris Wilson

Photograph of Barack Obama by Jonathan Ernst/Getty Images.Even as Hillary Clinton trails Barack Obama in pledged delegates, the popular vote, and number of states won, she has made it clear that she plans to stay in the race for the nomination. All of which brings me to this logical conclusion: It is time for Barack Obama to drop out.

If Clinton had the good of the Democratic Party in mind, she would have given up her bid the day after the Mississippi primary, which Obama won by 25 points. The delegate math was as dismal for her campaign then as it is now, even after Pennsylvania, and she was facing down a six-week gulf before the next election.

But Hillary Clinton isn?t going to drop out. There simply isn?t a function in her assembly code for throwing in the towel.

Obama, on the other hand, is fully capable of it. And if he?s really serious about representing a new kind of politics, now is the time for him to prove it in the only meaningful way left. Moreover, were he to play it right, dropping out now nearly guarantees that he?ll be elected president in 2012. Here?s the roadmap:

Obama drops out next week, stating that although he could almost certainly win the nomination by fighting it out until the convention in August, he is simply not willing to drag the party through a battle that will cripple its chances against John McCain. He then pledges to help support Sen. Clinton in her bid?with full knowledge that she will not take him up on the offer.

In one stroke, Obama will regain his messiah creds by making the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the party. His followers will be furious. The mere mention of Clinton?s name will provoke unspeakable acts. They will abandon Clinton in numbers sufficient to hand McCain the election in November.

Losing the presidency again after eight years of Bush will ruin the Democratic Party. It will become obvious that Clinton?s decision to stay in the race was the turning point in the election. The base will turn its wrath on party leaders like Howard Dean and Nancy Pelosi, who failed to push Clinton out. Obama, as the de facto head of the party, will broker negotiations to install new leaders loyal to him.

McCain will be eminently more beatable in 2012. Demographics will continue to shift in Obama?s favor as his 14- to 17-year-old supporters come of voting age. Anyone foolish enough to challenge Obama for the nomination?and don?t rule out Clinton?will go nowhere. Obama?s utopian vision for a Democratic party unified around him will be complete. QED.

He does have a point. It's not like Hillary is the worst we can do considering the options and if she is willing to destroy the party for herself then this could be a logical step forward. Considering that most obama supporters can think, they would understand the reasons behind this move and support him.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
This, to me, is even crazier than asking Clinton to drop out. One thing about the long primary season, it gives people time to think up some crazy stuff and make it sound almost logical.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Brilliant. Now lets shorten it and have him beat McCain this time especially since he's already winning.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
What an idiotic idea. Drop out despite being in the lead by all measures because your opponent is too bull-headed not to. That's just the kind of leader you want in charge of a nation - someone who doesn't know when to ease off.

I take it that Chris Wilson is a Republican hoping to fool the frontrunner into doing something this mind-boggling silly? Because if he isn't, someone needs to head right over to his domicile and ensure that he can't procreate.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
That damn Obama is just so selfish. If he had any decency he wouldn't run at all. How dare him take somebody's spot. Hillary should get out too in favor of McCain. That would be really nice and insure her a win in 2050.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Chris Wilson is nuttier than a fruitcake. But just because he posts something, he has instant credibility?

The thesis is that Obama will flush Hillary and this country down the toilet just to enhance his chances in 2012 is clearly the product of a deranged mind.

The fact is that the dems have two strong candidates in 08, and neither has prevailed yet because its simply too close . Neither will drop out until the other has the needed 2025 delegates. And that should occur on or before July 1. And just like every sports contest on television, when the clock runs out, it runs out. The notion that either Obama or Hillary will take their snit to the convention floor in late August is nothing but a GOP wet dream and nothing more. But until, they both are playing to win and can we blame them because it is the American way.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Uh... he's taken in tens of millions of dollars in campaign contributions and is currently ahead in the race. He can't drop out.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
is this a late april fools joke?

edit: another damn blog source. :|

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
That damn Obama is just so selfish. If he had any decency he wouldn't run at all. How dare him take somebody's spot. Hillary should get out too in favor of McCain. That would be really nice and insure her a win in 2050.

As funny as that sounds similar thoughts have been posted here.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
hehe, the guy has a future as a strategist, no doubt. Likely Bush's advisor in his Post-Presidency Career.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
In one stroke, Obama will regain his messiah creds by making the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the party.

Forsaking the country for the party. He would lose a lot of support for that.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
His campaign 'misspoke' yet again. I won't take the possibility of Hillary nomination out at this point.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0408/9863.html

But my bigger concern is that he will keep preferring abstract languages ("hope", "corrupt Washington", etc.) to more concrete, palpable terms. They just don't register to working class families.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01

Drop Out, Obama

By Chris Wilson

Photograph of Barack Obama by Jonathan Ernst/Getty Images.Even as Hillary Clinton trails Barack Obama in pledged delegates, the popular vote, and number of states won, she has made it clear that she plans to stay in the race for the nomination. All of which brings me to this logical conclusion: It is time for Barack Obama to drop out.

If Clinton had the good of the Democratic Party in mind, she would have given up her bid the day after the Mississippi primary, which Obama won by 25 points. The delegate math was as dismal for her campaign then as it is now, even after Pennsylvania, and she was facing down a six-week gulf before the next election.

But Hillary Clinton isn?t going to drop out. There simply isn?t a function in her assembly code for throwing in the towel.

Obama, on the other hand, is fully capable of it. And if he?s really serious about representing a new kind of politics, now is the time for him to prove it in the only meaningful way left. Moreover, were he to play it right, dropping out now nearly guarantees that he?ll be elected president in 2012. Here?s the roadmap:

Obama drops out next week, stating that although he could almost certainly win the nomination by fighting it out until the convention in August, he is simply not willing to drag the party through a battle that will cripple its chances against John McCain. He then pledges to help support Sen. Clinton in her bid?with full knowledge that she will not take him up on the offer.

In one stroke, Obama will regain his messiah creds by making the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the party. His followers will be furious. The mere mention of Clinton?s name will provoke unspeakable acts. They will abandon Clinton in numbers sufficient to hand McCain the election in November.

Losing the presidency again after eight years of Bush will ruin the Democratic Party. It will become obvious that Clinton?s decision to stay in the race was the turning point in the election. The base will turn its wrath on party leaders like Howard Dean and Nancy Pelosi, who failed to push Clinton out. Obama, as the de facto head of the party, will broker negotiations to install new leaders loyal to him.

McCain will be eminently more beatable in 2012. Demographics will continue to shift in Obama?s favor as his 14- to 17-year-old supporters come of voting age. Anyone foolish enough to challenge Obama for the nomination?and don?t rule out Clinton?will go nowhere. Obama?s utopian vision for a Democratic party unified around him will be complete. QED.

He does have a point. It's not like Hillary is the worst we can do considering the options and if she is willing to destroy the party for herself then this could be a logical step forward. Considering that most obama supporters can think, they would understand the reasons behind this move and support him.

Actually I don't think a McCain win will destroy the Democratic party. In fact the opposite, another 4 years of McSame (as Bush) will seriously weaken the Republican party.

Whoever takes over as President and Congress in 2009 has one hell of a mess to clear up on may fronts. No way is that going to be sorted out in 4 years or even 8 years.

After 4 years the masses forget where the problems originated from and mud will stick to whoever is the current President, dragging down his/her name and, by extension, that of his/her party.

Personally I would prefer to see McCain in that position and I wonder why Obama wants to get there?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
-Hillary is unelectable, she has consistently had historically high negative ratings. It's a cliche (but true) in GOP circles that Hillary Clinton is the GOP's best fundraiser.

-We have seen the damage a bad President can do in eight years-why should Obama step aside and risk that happening again?

Personally, "the good of the Democratic Party" ranks about a two on a scale of 100 for me, while the good of the country is up their near the top. Hillary's continued ego trip is destructive to both the Democratic Party and ultimately the country, as if she is the nominee we will have Bush term #3, with just a different figurehead at the top.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01

Drop Out, Obama

By Chris Wilson

He stole my analysis .. he has a point - the guy is smart to steal from me, a workable plan that is adaptive and most unexpected [at the time i suggested i - now it has FLAWS!]
:roll:

credit where credit is due 03/31-2008

Obama's Last Chance to Unite the Dems - Cut a "Deal" with Clinton?

Excuse me but Chris Wilson is a fucking Thief - whether he knows it or not and i think he does! :|

mY WORDS AND my ANALYSIS:

" a guaranteed" presidency Shot in 8 years and likely 16 years of Democratic Rule

this guy is 4 weeks too late! .. they pay him to steal ideas from forum posters and the keep the credit as his own?
-steal from me .. a big site; a clearly laid-out strategy?
:Q

my FINAL analysis - it's much deeper than his - says Obama MUST drop out now OR else McLame is GUARANTEED a Win!
.. and it is probably too late now

who has the Vision here?
--who loves ya' babies ?

i told you my "message" is meant for Obama and he would get it
- now i gotta work on my own timing; evidently it is late again
:clock:

the only difference is that Wilson is expanding on my idea to let Hillary lose to McLame ... i don't like that at all. Even if she wins - with Obama out; she will look awful and he will still be president in 4 or 8 years

America comes to love Obama in the meantime
:heart:

i laid it out for you guys a month ago .. my own strategy .. now becoming fringe .. from a lunatic genesis right here on own P&N from a single poster
.. i told you why i came back here .. it is clear now, i hope

i won't be posting here much longer either .. my research is almost done and i have to get busy writing .. now

rose.gif

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
Err, Apoppin, I expressed such an idea three weeks before you yet I don't consider you a thief. ;)

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...keyword1=obama+hillary

cool .. i didn't see it .. i still didn't look at it yet

rose.gif

So, we are both prophets and have a knack for analysis .. we came to this idea independently
- my ego can handle it, can yours? ;)

:cool:

you even got the same response i did from the sheepies
This has got to be one of the dumbest OPs have read in a while. Waited his turn? Pffft, this is American competition, not a European coronation.

and from looking at it now .. yours appears to be a "blame thing" .. mine was an expansion and the "plan" .. that is obviously so copied now

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
As I said in your thread, great minds think alike (except maybe moonbeam and Hillary).:laugh:

Moonbeam is trapped by his religion; i try to show the falseness of his Vision and the "one shoe fits or cut off you toes" bigotry and self-hate he holds so dear confusing himself with idealistic fantasy; i won't say what i think it really is. Hillary is a stubborn bitch who realizes the depth of the Reagan Republican conspiracy to make US in Their Image. Unfortunately her Ego is a big as Obama's

i did not see your thread at all .. there is some difference with mine that appears to be really built on by Mr Wilson.
i think he might have disguised it better .. shame .. shame

But you know

no ideas are new .. i am recycling 1776

---Unite or Die!

damn simple .. the English had 13 divided colonies - they were blown away when they United for States to be Reckoned with

anyway, i am nearly done writing a book ... it's slightly related ..
rose.gif

it might even be popular as i am challenging *everything* for a metaphysical ToE

you both are pretty

We ARE pretty .. thanks

Humans ,, prepare to be assimilated
-into harmony with the Universe
. . for your own good .. you will LOVE it
--no more freakin' guilt!
in case you aren't sure the above is a paraphrase of a quote and a message from Your Mom .. Mother Earth
- and a PSA .. from me You are now returned to your regular programming . . . . thank you for your attention..... ...

Superrock

Oct 28, 2000
While this scenario is highly illogical and would never happen I do think of another scenario. If their roles were reversed in terms of popular votes and delegates, could you imagine Obama carrying the race ahead as Hillary has? I can't picture him dividing the party like Hillary is doing. I imagine him conceding the race and supporting whoever has the most delegates.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Superrock
While this scenario is highly illogical and would never happen I do think of another scenario. If their roles were reversed in terms of popular votes and delegates, could you imagine Obama carrying the race ahead as Hillary has? I can't picture him dividing the party like Hillary is doing. I imagine him conceding the race and supporting whoever has the most delegates.

the POINT is .. what does he do NOW?

we're not discussing theoretical quantum time travel and alternate realities

rose.gif