DRM - My First Experience

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
This happened early in the morning as I was leaving for work so I did not have any time at all to figure out what went wrong. I hit 'sync iPod' in my iTunes and all of a sudden all of the music I downloaded in the past couple of weeks will no longer copy. Supposedly it is not authorized for use on this machine. WTF? I thought I would give buying DRM protected music a try over the past couple of weeks and I'm already hitting a snag. I'm just extremely annoyed because I know that even if I figure out how to fix it I shouldn't even have to worry about this kind of crap.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Yes, because everything in the world goes off without a hitch, 100% of the time. Get over it.

Hey man, I'm already over it. I'll just stop buying DRM infested music. :) It's kind of like going out to eat and finding a hair in your food. Some people are okay with that and others will never go back to the establishment again.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Meh, I only use my main system for all my music so I've never had a problem with iTunes. However, I "bought" (Big Mac was "giving" 'em away) some DRM tracks, and when I migrated to my new system, they wouldn't work anymore. Don't remember where and how to get the license back so WMP is just stalling on them now. Hope I don't have a problem in a year or so when I build something new or people will suffer.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Fritzo
As it says all over Apple's support site, in ITunes you have to go to File and use the Import Music feature.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

Well, I just went to this documentation and guess I wasn't very clear in my complaint. NOTHING about my setup has changed. I am not trying to move anything to a new PC. Right now as I'm getting ready to leave the house for work it's telling me that the music I paid for cannot be played on the computer/iPod it has already been on for the past 1-2 weeks. Ugh what a pita.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Colt45
Lesson - steal music.

Hard to get away with stealing music these days with those anti theft devices in the jewel case and they generally call the cops on shoplifters. On the other hand it is pretty easy to take the copyright infringment path if you tire of DRM.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I found a way to get around my problem before leaving today. Apparently with iTunes you can 'move' your music to a new machine 5 times. I had to re-license my machine so now I've used 2/5 of my moves even though nothing has moved at all. I :heart: DRM.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
I found a way to get around my problem before leaving today. Apparently with iTunes you can 'move' your music to a new machine 5 times. I had to re-license my machine so now I've used 2/5 of my moves even though nothing has moved at all. I :heart: DRM.

Um, the music off a single iTunes account can be played on 5 different machines, not moved to 5 different machines. You can deauthorize all and authorize again on one machine. Sounds more like you did something to deauthorize it in the first place.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
I've had iTunes kick off my authorization before. Altho, it sounds like iTunes lost your 1st registration. You didn't reinstall iTunes before deauthorizing did you?

Regardless, if you hit 5/5 later on, Apple was happy to reset my authorizations completely. Altho, I think that's only something you can request 1-2x a year or something.

But yes, DRM sucks. However, I've fallen to the convenience side of things, altho I do try to buy DRM-free when I can.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I've bought into the DRM Kool Aid.

I pay $13 a month for the Rhapsody service from Best Buy. For only $13 I can legally fill up my 8 gig Sansa with just about any album/artist I could think of. I say just about because there are a few artists/albums that aren't available. But for every one that isn't, there are 100 other bands that I would have never considered or heard of.

It's a great service. Especially with the playlist feature. I can browse through hundreds of playlists and just drag them to the device and in 30 minutes of transfering I've got hours of new music to listen to.

I can't burn CD's (legally/easily) using this service, but I really don't see myself buying many more CD's at this point. I've got music available on my PC for listening, plus it's loaded on my MP3 player for car & workout purposes.

If you like to bounce around to a lot of different music styles I don't think there are much better options out there.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Welcome to DRM.

Use mp3, ogg, and other non-DRM versions of digital music. When you get DRM copies of music, convert them to MP3 and delete the infected versions. Make non-DRM backups of CD's and such.

You will thank yourself so much for it later. There is no reason why you should have to use crippled versions of media that you've paid for.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

Um, the music off a single iTunes account can be played on 5 different machines, not moved to 5 different machines. You can deauthorize all and authorize again on one machine. Sounds more like you did something to deauthorize it in the first place.

The only thing I changed on my system in the past 3 days was a windows update patch. If that were the problem I would expect everyone else would be in the same boat so maybe it's something else. Who knows.

Feb 19, 2001

The only thing I changed on my system in the past 3 days was a windows update patch. If that were the problem I would expect everyone else would be in the same boat so maybe it's something else. Who knows.

How can you deauthorize when you reformat all the time? I reformatted like 5 times in a month once... now what...?