Driving to work on a 4 lane divided highway and....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Garet Jax, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Garet Jax

Garet Jax Diamond Member

All of a sudden someone is driving the wrong direction right at me. Somehow they got onto the highway going the wrong way. I swerved out of the way and managed to miss the cars in the other lane and then immediately called 911.

The cop made me repeat myself since he didn't believe me the first time. Unfortunately, it happened so quickly I didn't see the driver or the license plate.

2. ICRS

ICRS Banned

Glad you weren't hurt.

3. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

Possibly a drunk driver. Happens too often unfortunately.

4. Aberforth

Aberforth Golden Member

Consider yourself lucky it wasn't a 18 wheeler.

5. George P Burdell

:shocked:

6. RKS

RKS Diamond Member

I am currently representing a client who was riding his motorcycle on a similar 4 lane divided highway. He came over a hill and ran into a drunk bicyclist riding the wrong way.
    Unfortunately the bicyclist had no insurance and was in the states illegally and we are having trouble tracking him down.

My client shattered an arm and a leg while the guy on the bike was unharmed. The insurance won't let my client collect any insurance because they say the policy only covers crashes with 'motorized' vehicles no just vehicles.

7. BeauJangles

BeauJangles Lifer

The same thing happened to me on a two lane divided road. It scared the living shit out of me and I was only going ~40 or so. I pulled over and called the cops, but I doubt they found the guy.

8. Brainonska511

A few years ago, a drunk driver (3 to 4 times over the legal limit of .08) got onto the Meadowbrook Parkway on Long Island going the wrong direction. He crashed into a limo coming from a wedding killing several people inside. I don't remember how his sentencing played out...

9. 2Xtreme21

2Xtreme21 Diamond Member

It happens all too often in Pittsburgh-- so many one-way roads that go every which way. It's a really confusing city to navigate and it's almost to the point that if I drive in certain parts of town, I have to look both ways before entering a one-way street just because of the frequency of people going the wrong way on it.

Never seen someone drive the wrong way down an interstate though. Those are almost impossible to get on the wrong side of.

10. Row1and

Row1and Guest

Dang, you should watch the news tonight to see if there's anything on there about it.

Good thing you are alive and well, and have full functionality of your fingers and are able to post on ATOT! :)

11. Sluggo

Sluggo Lifer

About 20 years ago I had a good friend killed by an 80 yr old man driving the wrong way on I-40.

12. marvdmartian

marvdmartian Diamond Member

Like the old joke, where the old woman is home, watching tv, and they break in with a news story about someone driving the wrong way down the highway.

She immediately phones her husband, knowing that he'll be driving down that particular highway, to warn him of this crazed driver going the wrong way.

His response? "One driver going the wrong way? Hell, the entire highway's full of people going the wrong way!!!" :laugh:

13. Evadman

Evadman Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member

ghost riders.

14. potato28

potato28 Diamond Member

I have never seen anyone driving down the wrong side of the road, let alone on the highway.

15. silverpig

silverpig Lifer

One person I worked with was a witness to an accident. It was on a 4 lane divided highway where the divider was a slightly lower than road grade grass area about 60 feet wide. Some lady in an SUV was driving towards her with her dog in her lap. The dog distracted her, she drove into the median, across it, then slammed into a small car (like a civic I think) heading the other way. That car was only 1 or 2 cars ahead of my co-worker. Apparently it was a real mess.

16. EKKC

EKKC Diamond Member

17. Eos

Eos Diamond Member

Back in the late 90's I drove dump truck and was empty heading back to the yard for another load of gravel.

example

I was passing a line of slower vehicles just after an on ramp and the road become an overpass.

I as I climbed the small rise, I saw a car in my lane (inside lane), so I jumped all over the brake pedal and was able to stop in time, and the slow lane did as well. 7 axles has a lot of tire surface on the road holding 30k pounds and it can make for a short stopping distance. If the truck was loaded, I'm not sure I would have been able to stop in time.

This poor old lady was so disoriented. I had to help her do a 3 point across the two lanes and get her going the right way.

It is no fun to see that coming at you. In a semi, it's even worse.

18. Muadib

Muadib Lifer

Happened to me on Rt80, while a buddy of mine was driving. We were in PA, on our way to Cincinnati, and he was doing about 65, in the left lane.

Suddenly, I see these headlights coming at us, and tell my friend that I think that car is in our lane. He thinks I'm crazy, and says it's on the other side of the road. I yell at him, to get the hell out of the lane, and go to grab the wheel. He turns at the last second, barely missing the other car. I'll never forget the look on her face. Her was clearly drunk, and looked at us like we were in the wrong.

I drove from that point on.

19. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Diamond Member

Dont you ppl know if this happens your suppose to stop on the side of the road! and wait for them to pass by.

20. BrownTown

BrownTown Diamond Member

Where I live there is a similar highway (US 27) , but the city I live in (Dayton, TN) has the most absurd set of roads connecting to and going across the divided highway that you can EASILY get going the wrong way. There are several places where the 2 halves of the highway get pretty far apart and you would never know its half of a 4 lane road and could easily think it is a 2 lane road and make the wrong turn. And the only thing to tell you otherwise are tiny little "wrong way" signs which you would never see in the dark (or if you were even a little distracted).

21. Itchrelief

Itchrelief Golden Member

Is this a joke of some kind that I don't understand? Closure rate in such an event is high enough that someone who is not expecting such an aberrant situation would have almost no chance to calmly pull over and kindly "wait for them to pass by".