Driving from NYC to Boston

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
So I was thinking about driving or taking the bus. What do you guys think is the better way? I figure that driving would be a little faster than the bus though.

Also how much should I expect to pay in tolls (I'm absolutely broke right now). Would it be better to follow 95 the whole way up, thats what some people tell me, or should I go the mapquested route? Thanks.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
take a bus from chinatown.

It's cheaper than greyhound
should be cheaper than driving as well since you save some dough on gas

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Bus is going to be considerably cheaper once you factor everything in (parking, tolls, gas).

Like isekki said, look up NYC Boston chinatown bus in google and they'll have plenty of lines. If you go on a Friday or weekend, make sure you book in advance because the seats go quickly. It shouldn't cost more than $35 round trip.

Flammable

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2007
Sunshine Travel/Fung Wah both cost about 10-15$ each one way. Both start and end in Chinatown :)

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
The bus is cheaper... but the reason I wanted to drive is because I live in the Bronx. The northeast bronx, and it takes me an hour and a half to get to Chinatown and than waiting for the bus should take another 30 minutes. Than I'm worried about getting into traffic. But it is definitely a cheaper way.

TheDro

Dec 14, 2006
In Connecticut take the Merritt Pkwy for the scenic route, might even be faster than I95.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: cheapdude
How safe are those bus? I have been hearing lots of accidents and violence between those bus operators.

I've ridden on various lines a total of probably 2 dozen times and have never had a problem.

PAB

Banned
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: LuNoTiCK
So I was thinking about driving or taking the bus. What do you guys think is the better way? I figure that driving would be a little faster than the bus though.

Also how much should I expect to pay in tolls (I'm absolutely broke right now). Would it be better to follow 95 the whole way up, thats what some people tell me, or should I go the mapquested route? Thanks.

Do not take 95.

Bruckner Interchange to the Merritt - all the way to 91 outside Meriden, pick up 84 north outside hartford to 90 all the way in.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
I've never had any trouble with not buying advanced tickets for Fungwah or Sunshine. I just walk up to the ticket window and they take my money and wave me through. Although, if you are not chinese, I noticed that chinese people get precidence over other races... ymmv.

Driving might be more comfortable depending one the car you have.

I've never had any trouble, but my friends have been on busses that either flipped over, caught on fire, or lost a wheel. shrugs...

BTW, take the "cut through connecticut" route whatever that is :)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Much will also depend on where in the Boston area you need to go to.

Taking I-90 from the I84/86 interchange will cost you some tolls.

You can take I-95 through Conn, RI and up the south shore with no tolls.
May be slightly longer than the I84/86 through Conn into Central Mass, then using I90

the bus may be slower, but cheaper. Once you get to Boston area, then you need to mass transit or someone to meet you to then get around. If you will be in Boston proper, you may be able to maneuver via shoe leather.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: isekii
take a bus from chinatown.

It's cheaper than greyhound
should be cheaper than driving as well since you save some dough on gas

I heard the chinatown busses to boston in particular are deadly. There was a bunch of 'em that ran off road and one caught fire...