Question Driving dual monitors with CPU integrated graphics

w2tq

Sep 16, 2020
I am choosing components for a business, non-gaming desktop PC, with dual, identical NEC monitors (extended display, not cloned). The native OS will be the current version of openSuSE Linux with a virtual machine (VirtualBox) for Windows. Typical applications would be word processing, pdf generation, Internet browsing, and image rendering (Photoshop, GIMP); no video rendering.

Until now, I have used discrete nVidia-based graphics cards with dual DVI-I outputs, each monitor set to a resolution of 1920 x 1200. These cards have worked well with openSuSE, requiring very little in the way of configuration, especially in recent years.

Nevertheless, given the performance advances in CPUs and in light of comments I received in another thread in this forum, I am exploring CPU integrated graphics offered in AMD Ryzen 5 and Intel Core i3 and i5 series microprocessors as an alternative to a discrete card. In addition to DVI-I inputs, the monitors have one HDMI input and one DisplayPort input (daisy chaining is not an option), and the motherboards I am considering have HDMI and DisplayPort outputs, apparently a fairly standard configuration.

One concern I have is whether running one monitor from an HDMI output and the other from a DisplayPort will afford the same uniform video signals to the two monitors (see, e.g., https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/531742-KDE-and-two-displays-with-diff-resolutions). Some claim that a port splitter may be employed, but others run into performance or configuration difficulties with such devices.

Since I have very little experience with integrated graphics, HDMI, and DisplayPort, the effectiveness of these options appears uncertain. Although a discrete card adds expense, increases power consumption, and generates additional heat, it works and works well. Perhaps that's a more sensible way to proceed.

I am interested in your experience with integrated graphics and dual monitors, and welcome your comments and suggestions.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
To be honest, that forum post sounds more like a software issue. You would probably get better driver support if you ran Windows instead of OpenSuse.

Integrated graphics works fine these days- my father drives a pair of monitors from his Ryzen laptop's IGP. I don't think you'll have any issues.