Driving: Does it make your back hurt?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JohnCU, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnCU

JohnCU Banned

Hey all,
    I was just curious to see if anyone else had problem with their back while driving. Even if I drive for a short time (like, anything over 10 miles or so), my lower back starts to hurt. I can change positions and it stop for awhile and then it comes right back. I've tried a million different seating setups (leaned back, sat straight up, raise the seat up) and I still can't get comfortable.

Anyone else have this same problem?

Old thread revived by - somebody.
    admin allisolm

#1 JohnCU, Nov 27, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  2. TallBill

TallBill Lifer

take the wallet out of yer back pocket.. it very well might help

3. Mister T

Mister T Diamond Member

what car you drive?

and what is your height/weight?

4. Rallispec

Rallispec Lifer

depends on the car.. in my dads car (mercury sable) i can drive for hours and never have back problems, the seats are pretty comfortable. But in my car (00' nissan sentra) i usually get pains in my lower back after an hour or so of driving. I find that when i lean the seat back some it helps for a little while.
    and as for taking your wallet out, that actually makes a huge difference for me.. i cant stand driving with a wallet in my back pocket

5. khtm

khtm Platinum Member

I have that exact problem, Dismal.

Buy a lumbar support pad (some cylidrical tube) for your car seat. Mine works great!
    Or you can splurge and buy one of those fancy seat covers with lumbar support.

good luck - I feel your pain.

-khtm-

6. peemo

peemo Golden Member

Used to with Volkswagon. Then got Acura. No more pain.

7. LAUST

LAUST Diamond Member

The seats in my truck are like Lazy Boy chairs, I drove from Denver to Vegas without one stop, no problem, (yes my bladder can handle it I'm a "RoadWarrior") ;)

EDIT: BTW honestly thats one other reason I love trucks, Cars my legs are straight out, where in a truck it's a more natural seat, when I ride in my GF's car I hate every minute of it, I prefer to sit in her backseat cause the angle I can keep my legs, in a truck I don't have problems at all

8. Zenmervolt

Zenmervolt Supermoderator<br>The Garage<br>Elite member
    Super Moderator

I did initially, then I adjusted the seat to the minimum lumbar support and I've not had a problem since. Of course, that's something of an anomaly, and most people will fare better with a lumbar support. I hope you find a way to get comfortable, I wouldn't be able to stand not being able to drive.

ZV

9. SpecialEd

SpecialEd Platinum Member

If you only driving for 10 mins and feeling pain, your problem may be something more than just seating position.

Poor day to day posture can leave you more prone to back pain. Also, if your back and lower muscles don't get proper exercise they will be more prone to aches and pains as well. Healthly back muscles and good posture are the key to reduce pain.

Unfortunately, driving for long distances it going to be muscle aching no matter what. I usually stretch all my muscles when I have to stop for gas on long trips. Every two hours or so....

10. ShadowHunter

ShadowHunter Banned

My back hurts while driving my Eclipse for long periods of time. It's not a very good car for long commutes.

11. StageLeft

StageLeft No Lifer

I had this bad last year from poor sitting at work and then a 15 min drive would hurt my back. Ultimately I found what really helped was to shove in a sweater behind my back to put a bit of a curve in the lower back. It seemed to help.

12. Zenmervolt

Zenmervolt Supermoderator<br>The Garage<br>Elite member
    Super Moderator

<<I drove from Denver to Vegas without one stop, no problem, (yes my bladder can handle it I'm a "RoadWarrior")>>

Got you beat (barely) in the distance category. Waterville, OH to Campton, NH (788 miles) in one day. Couldn't do it without stops though, my dad's Explorer (with a full load) demands a stop about every 250 miles. I'd have driven my Accord, but three friends and a week's worth of camping supplies don't fit comfortably into a "compact" car.

ZV

13. McPhreak

McPhreak Diamond Member

Maybe it would be better if my driving actually did make my back hurt. Then I would stop falling asleep on the road. I can tell you from personal experience that being woken up by the little bumpy lane dividers after falling asleep on the freeway is not a pleasant thing, but it sure beats being woken up by the median divider...:confused: I've fallen asleep while driving more times than I care to remember. Thank God I don't have a car any more.

14. JohnCU

JohnCU Banned

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Mister T: I drive a Chevy Lumina and I'm 5'8, 130~ lbs.

15. LAUST

LAUST Diamond Member

<< <<I drove from Denver to Vegas without one stop, no problem, (yes my bladder can handle it I'm a "RoadWarrior")>>

Got you beat (barely) in the distance category. Waterville, OH to Campton, NH (788 miles) in one day. Couldn't do it without stops though, my dad's Explorer (with a full load) demands a stop about every 250 miles. I'd have driven my Accord, but three friends and a week's worth of camping supplies don't fit comfortably into a "compact" car.

ZV
    >>

I did Ludington, MI to Denver one time but had to stop for one bathroom break and a couple stretches (so it don't count... but what a drive!!), it was my brothers truck and the person who owned it before him was fat or somethin cause the driverside of the bench (I hate bench BTW) was sunk like a mofo, passenger side was great but I drive most the way cause he's a sissy and fell asleep :)

It's all about the seat :) my fav are the captains chairs in the Motorhomes, my dad has a class A, can ride for a LONG time in those mofo's :D

16. Spamela

Spamela Diamond Member

i had a back injury once & the physical therapist suggested i roll up
    a towel & stick it behind my waist while driving. this is called
    "maintaining the lordosis" (curvature) - it works well.

17. Aenygma

Aenygma Platinum Member

Nope. All our car's have adjustable lumbar support.

18. dman

dman Diamond Member

I generally have lower back pains, but, not while driving. In any vehicle I've ever driven.

19. Linux23

Linux23 Diamond Member

i used to in my Maxima, but it seemed to have gone away.

i drove from NJ to South Carolina one time, and i can't remember having back aches. however, i remember feeling restless.

ahh, the things you do to go see some girl on your birthday!

20. yakko

yakko Lifer

I can usually drive for a few hours with no problem.

21. prodigy

prodigy Lifer

<< I can usually drive for a few hours with no problem. >>

22. OS

OS Lifer

Driven ten hours in one day and no pain.

23. dionx

dionx Diamond Member

no back problems when i drive my accord. i do get sleepy at times. however when i speed and do some crazy driving manuevers, the adrenaline gets going, and i have no problems with driving. in fact, im 100% aware of everything when running on adrenaline.

24. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

What made you start an account just to bump a 12 year old thread?

25. Mixolydian

Mixolydian Lifer

12 years of necro = 12 shots to the head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.