Drivetrain swap

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
By the way it is possible to make a fwd car a rwd.

Someone did that do a first gen Altima. I cna't find the links though.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
It might be easier to turn the seats around and have it a rear engine car... ;)

Do you really love the body that much that you'd change everything about the car to keep that look? I mean, the Probe was not the ugliest car ever, but, it certainly isn't that great either.

If it's not that, what do you hope ot achieve out of this? The car will drive completely different from before, the handling will be different, etc, it won't be the same car, so will you really like it in the end?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Umm...no offense, but transplanting a RWD setup into a FWD platform involving two completely different manufacturers ranks on the far side of the "Damn near impossible" line.
definitely damn hard, but he could have bragging rights if he does it - at least on the internet. I'd personally if I were him just keep to the existing drive train as much as possible but drop in a big-man engine instead :)

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: CFster

Considering the Probe is a "unibody" vehicle with no "frame" per say, extensive modifications would be needed.

There a unibody?!
Oh hell dont try this project man. That'd be a freakin nightmare.....

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The project certainly isn't impossible, like I said.. there are quite a few RWD V8 probes, apparently..

But damn. heh.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Boomdart if you are serious about doing this swap then you will need to change the following on the Probe to make this work.

Cooling System
Front Suspension
Front Brake System
Clutch & Throttle pedal hardware
Body Floorpan
Shifter Hardware
Rear Suspension
Rear Brake System
Fuel Tank location
Main engine harness
Body harness

This would be a very interesting project, but if I were being paid to make this conversion I would start with a 240sx chassis and adapt the Probe body to it.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
If you want a SR20 just get a FWD SR20. That's not particularly hard to find. At least that way it stays FWD. If you intend to convert to RWD you're nuts.

DuffmanOhYeah

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Umm...no offense, but transplanting a RWD setup into a FWD platform involving two completely different manufacturers ranks on the far side of the "Damn near impossible" line.

agreed