Drivers Wont Install Properly, HD 4850 Crossfire, 8.8 and up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

supastar1568

Apr 6, 2005
FYI, 8.11s do not solve this issue.

I just did a clean install with 8.11's. Got a "drivers didnt install properly" message right away.

I'm trying this method now, clean install of vista with ONE card and the 8.11's. If the driver installs properly, I will add the second card and see what happens.

Mustachio

Oct 20, 2008
Originally posted by: supastar1568
FYI, 8.11s do not solve this issue.

I just did a clean install with 8.11's. Got a "drivers didnt install properly" message right away.

I'm trying this method now, clean install of vista with ONE card and the 8.11's. If the driver installs properly, I will add the second card and see what happens.

I am still getting BSOD with the new 8.11's (same as with hotfix 2, 8.551) and can not even boot into windows with anything higher than the first 8.10 hotfix (8.541.2).

I removed one of my cards, and guess what happened, windows booted up just fine with the 8.11's. As soon as I put the second card back in, BSOD on windows load... So either I get my bug fixes and performance enhancements but end up with a nearly $200 paperweight and much worse performance, or I dont get any bug fixes and performance enhancements (in fact, I still get a lot of graphical glitches in far cry 2 that the second hotfix was supposed to fix).

I am just about ready to sell these and go with a single GPU solution... but the only one that will come close is the Nvidia GTX 280... and you know what, since this is not the first time I have had driver issues that ATI never fixed, I am about ready to switch back.

cemchris

Nov 14, 2008
I also had the same problem in vista 64. The solution I found was to uninstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistribute 2005 (the x64 one also) before you reinstall the drivers. I sat there for 3 hrs till I figured this out swearing at the screen. Hope that helps. Ever Since I started doing this since 8.8 its worked like a champ with no problems to this date.

BTW Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 with a Phenom, Vista64 Ult SP1, 2 visiontek 4850's

hddvd

Dec 1, 2007
wow rxtrom, we have the same exact system and same problem. I havent been able to try anything new with this driver problem. I had to RMA my RAM. But before i had to, i did try the second hotfix and i would get a BSOD relating to this file, "atikmdag". I havent been able to try the new 8.11 driver but sounds like it still has problems. I guess i will keep an eye on this forums until the issue gets fixed by ATI or someone else in here. cemchris, i will try your solution when i get my RAM back. If anyone else can try this and see if it works that would be cool.

Mustachio

Oct 20, 2008
Originally posted by: cemchris
I also had the same problem in vista 64. The solution I found was to uninstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistribute 2005 (the x64 one also) before you reinstall the drivers. I sat there for 3 hrs till I figured this out swearing at the screen. Hope that helps. Ever Since I started doing this since 8.8 its worked like a champ with no problems to this date.

BTW Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 with a Phenom, Vista64 Ult SP1, 2 visiontek 4850's

I will try this in the morning.... but my main problem now is not the code 43 anymore, as I mentioned earlier, this goes away after rebooting the computer again.

I am getting a BSOD on boot now with the second hotfix as well as the 8.11 drivers, and I have checked online and apparently I am not the only one getting this when using 2 4850's in crossfire on vista 64.

cemchris, was your problem the code 43 error or the BSOD?

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
i also got the "inf file was not found" error but after restart i just updated the driver manually, through device manager and it worked like a charm; i'm on vista64 btw

supastar1568

Apr 6, 2005
Well, my method worked.

I installed only one card, then I installed the 8.11 drivers. I shut down the computer and added the second card, booted up, and CCC instally recognized the crossfire setup. Finally, got this all to work right.

Hey Ati, you want wanna look into supporting your crossfire users, you know, the ones that have bought TWO of your cards.

hddvd

Dec 1, 2007
supastar1568, i tried your method and it worked to a point. After i install the second card and boot into windows CCC recognized the crossfire setup. It asks me if i want to enable crossfire and when i click "Go" i am then greeted by the atikmdag bsod. this sucks, i just got my RAM back and i just want to play some FarCry 2.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
It would be nice if everyone here listed what motherboard they are using... I am using an Asus Rampage Formula X48 motherboard.

2DIFF

Nov 2, 2008
Reboot. Do it. Do it several times. REBOOT. Reboot once more. It helps. ------- Well done, MS developers, great OS, next time please buy what you need, like you did for NT4 and+
->TridenTBoy3555: GA-X48-DS4

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Well this is the last time I'm buying multi-GPU setup ever! Biggest Piece of Crap! can't get the thing to work. Most of my games give me the BSOD it's really annoying. I've tried everything updating drivers, reinstalling windows 32bit and 64bit CrossFire just BSOD all the time. I'm a complete jackass I've should have bought a 4870 1GB or a GTX 280 but noooo!! I had to go CF, Good Job dumbass!! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Now I'm using only one card. :roll: what a waste!

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
I feel sorry for you all, I am sure it is frustrating. Looking at these post I just do not understand why or how all of you users are having problems.

Going through my multi-gpu history it has always been an issue where I received little or no performance gain with a card but never a BSDO or anything like that.

This is what I have done in all my installs. I have yet to have a single problem so please bare with me.

Install one video card first for base OS installation.

Install Windows XP with Sp2 or Vista 64bit Ultimate with service pack one. (No seperate user accounts, no folder deletion, no trying to optimize a service, no removal of the OS until all is performed)

Install any motherboard devices such as NIC, Audio, chipset in no determined order. As long as you reboot after each device install I have had no problem.

Install CAT or Nvidia driver straight from the given website.

Launch the executable and allow the program to use the default parameters.

Reboot

Place second video card in slot and install necessary drivers.

Reboot

Make sure SLI and Xfire is enabled.

Install Game

Play said game

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Zstream
I feel sorry for you all, I am sure it is frustrating. Looking at these post I just do not understand why or how all of you users are having problems.

Going through my multi-gpu history it has always been an issue where I received little or no performance gain with a card but never a BSDO or anything like that.

This is what I have done in all my installs. I have yet to have a single problem so please bare with me.

Install Windows XP with Sp2 or Vista 64bit Ultimate with service pack one. (No seperate user accounts, no folder deletion, no trying to optimize a service, no removal of the OS until all is performed)

Install any motherboard devices such as NIC, Audio, chipset in no determined order. As long as you reboot after each device install I have had no problem.

Reboot

Reboot

Install Game

Play said game

Doesn't work for me. :(

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Originally posted by: TridenTBoy3555

Reboot

Reboot

Install Game

Play said game

This is perfect advice. This is the common sense approach coming from a seasoned veteran with computer experience. If you wanted to install it any other way, you would just be getting into a bad mix-up.

If you know where you go wrong which has to be near the end at the bolded part, then it's easier to diagnose your issues. (BTW you shouldn't have to install drivers again after 2nd card's installation - i don't think.)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: TridenTBoy3555

Reboot

Reboot

Install Game

Play said game

it works for everyone else; for me dozens of times with almost the same MB and i even have CF-x3 which requires linking 3 adapters
i think you are still really missing something in your search for a solution; i know a lot of members are thinking if they had your PC they could fix it - easily - myself included. i don't think you really pay attention to any advice.

why not sell one or both of your GPUs? You are giving yourself a lot of pain for ..
.. well, what ARE you waiting for?
:confused:

dump CF, TB
- it doesn't work for you
rose.gif

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Originally posted by: apoppin
i know a lot of members are thinking if they had your PC they could fix it - easily - myself included. i don't think you really pay attention to any advice.

hehe. True.

cemchris

Nov 14, 2008
OK so Little update that was from my 8.10 experience. Now I am also getting the 8.11 code 43 error with my 2nd card

lets see what i have tried.

I have tried uninstalling all ati software. uninstalling the vis c++ 2005 (BOTH). booting up in safe mode. running driver sweeper. rebooting several time. then installing 8.11 no dice

same routine with 8.10 no dice.

same routine with 8.9. no dice

tried 8.11 ccc with 8.10 driver, 8.9 driver 8.8 driver no dice all following the same steps. also tried 8.10 ccc with the 8.11 driver no dice.

i got 8.11 to install by taking out my second card but it will not reconize the second card. now i have it disabled with a code 43.

rig is:
Phenom 2.2 gig (stock clock)
Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 (FC5 Bios)
2x2 gig patriot 1066 (stock clock)
600 watt PS
2 Visiontek 4850 (stock clock)
Vista 64 ult SP1

so im waiting :) would like to play my far cry and fallout