Drivers License expires tomorrow..

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by effowe, Jul 18, 2008.

1. effowe

effowe Diamond Member

My birthday is tomorrow, and as such my license is expiring then. Just wondering if I have to head to the DMV tomorrow (probably not open) or Monday to renew, or if I can still use it until midnight tomorrow.

Edit: Forgot to mention, this is in Illinois if that matters.

2. OdiN

OdiN Banned

3. effowe

effowe Diamond Member

I asked a couple different questions, this answer doesn't help me unless you tell me what you are saying yes to.

4. FallenHero

FallenHero Diamond Member

lol. Midnight tomorrow.

5. MagnusTheBrewer

You do know you had an entire month before your birthday to renew right?

6. QED

QED Diamond Member

It will expire tomorrow at midnight. You should probably try renewing it tomorrow anyway, unless you have no worries about being pulled over Monday on your way to the DMV to renew.

7. MrWizzard

MrWizzard Platinum Member

If the lic. says it expires 7/19/2008

Then at 12:01 AM tomorrow it is no longer valid. Meaning tomorrow you are no longer lic.

Understand?

8. effowe

effowe Diamond Member

Yeah, it would have been great to do that, but I am forgetful and only even thought of it when the guy carding me today asked about the expiration date. I'm a procrastinator, what can I say.

9. FallenHero

Eh, it's only a 75 dollar ticket if he does get pulled over while its expired, and that's only if the cop feels like being a dick about it.

10. sactoking

sactoking Diamond Member

So, this isn't 100% relevant as it's NV.....

I got my license in CA when I turned 16 and it was good for 9 years. I moved to NV when I was 23. My license was getting ready to expire near my 25th BD. I did some research and found out that if you are 24 or younger, you have to re-take the written test in NV to get a NV license. That was incentive for me to wait until the day of my BD to get it changed over. However, NV does not consider a CA license "valid legal ID" so I had to take my CA license with my SS card to prove my identity. If the CA license was expired, I had to present a valid military ID, NV state ID card, or passport, none of which I had.

My dilemma was if I wait until *birthday* I'm guaranteed of not having to take the written test but I risk having my license declared invalid as I did not know the specific timing of expiration. Long story short, the NV DMV told me my CA license was valid until 11:59 pm on the day of my birthday.

11. QED

QED Diamond Member

I played the same game myself and lost. In Ohio, your plates also expire on your birthday-- this past year, mine fell on a Saturday. I didn't want to waste my Saturday morning standing in line at the DMV, so I told myself I'd do Monday morning. So Monday morning, I'm driving to the nearest DMV office when a cop turns behind me. He apparently noticed that Sunday was the last day the sticker I had on my plates would be good for, so he pulls me over. He informs me that plates were expired, and asked how long they had been expired for. I told him they expired on my birthday, two days ago, and that I was currently on my way to the DMV to renew. He still gave me a ticket-- a ticket which I rightfully deserved.

12. FallenHero

Ouchy. Yeah...it is a risk. Sounds like you just had some bad luck too.

13. amdskip

amdskip Lifer

These are open:

Aurora

5301 W. Lexington Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60644

The Hall Plaza
    4642 West Diversey Street
    Chicago, IL 60641

595 S. State
    Elgin, IL 60123

201 S. Joyce Road
    Joliet, Il 60435

Brookside Shopping Center
    342 Peterson Road
    Libertyville, IL 60048

1029 ? 31 E. 9th Street
    Regency Point Plaza
    Lockport, IL 60441

Eastgate Shopping Center
    837 South Westmore B27
    Lombard, IL 60148

Midlothian Plaza
    14434 South Pulaski
    Midlothian, IL 60445

Hobson Shopping Center
    931 W. 75th St., Suite 161
    Naperville, IL 60565

Four Flaggs Shopping Center
    8261 Golf Road
    Niles, IL 60714

617 S. Green Bay Rd.
    Waukegan, IL 60085

1280 Powis Road
    West Chicago, IL 60185

Eastwood Mall
    428 S. Eastwood Drive
    Woodstock, IL 60098

All are 8am-12 noon

14. imported_Baloo

imported_Baloo Golden Member

If it say it expires on 7/19/2008, it expires at midnight the night of the 19th, not 12:01 AM on the 19th. In other words, at 12:00 AM, midnight, the 20th begins and the license is no longer valid. He's got til tomorrow at midnight, not 12:01, but 12:00. Midnight marks the beginning of the new day, not 12:01.

Understand?

15. Leros

Leros Lifer

You can go get a little paper license if you go tomorrow. Oh shit, tomorrow is Saturday. You're screwed either way.

16. GenHoth

GenHoth Platinum Member

Iowa gives you a bit of a grace period (Licence is still invalid but you can renew without extensive testing)

17. benzylic

benzylic Golden Member

In Missouri if your license expires on a weekend or holiday, its ok to keep driving through the weekend or holiday.

Is it like this in other states?

18. mugs

mugs Lifer

Protecting and serving. :thumbsup:

19. manlymatt83

manlymatt83 Diamond Member

Arizona licenses last for like 50 years. It's awesome.

20. Muadib

Muadib Lifer

21. boomerang

boomerang Lifer

In Michigan, if you let your license, plates, etc., expire, you have to pay an additional fee along with the renewal fee. A little present for putting things off.

Edit:

Looks like the weekends and holidays grant you a short reprieve.

22. Chiropteran

Chiropteran Diamond Member

You have to go to the DMV for your plates in Ohio? Here they just mail you the stickers along with your bill.

23. dartworth

dartworth Lifer

it is much easier to just renew your plates online...

24. dartworth

dartworth Lifer

no, you can renew them online in Ohio...

25. BornStar

BornStar Diamond Member

I've been playing a little game with my local post office for the past year. The game involves them returning my mail random days that they feel like and me guessing which days I'm not going to get mail (before anyone asks, I've notified them of this numerous times but they continue to do it). The best part of this game was last year when I was supposed to get both a new license and a new plate for my car they returned both items. I had paid for both but didn't receive either. I didn't pay much attention since the renewal had already taken place and just went about my life as normal which included flying out of town on my birthday which was obviously the day my license expired.

When I checked in at the front desk (had to check a bag) they notified me that license was expiring that day but I'd still be able to use it for the rest of the day. When I got to security they told me that my license had already expired and I wouldn't be able to use it. Luckily my wife packed my passport which was still good so I was still able to get through.

Basically what I'm getting at is you're going to get people either way that insist they're correct (I'm inclined to believe FallenHero above) so you're better off having a valid license the day it's set to expire rather than waiting rather than deal with the hassle.