Drivers and XP?

ronopp

Dec 2, 2002
I was Talking to a buddy and was told that win XP will not let you put in any vidieo drivers you want at any time you want? he said XP only lets you go back to the previous update you've made. Is this correct? I thought that you could change drivers at any time ? Rookie with XP and want to make sure of what to expect before I do this

!!

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Your buddy is misinformed, you can change drivers as often as you wish.

snidy

Jan 30, 2001
just uninstal the old ones. he's probably talking about the driver rollback option.

ronopp

Dec 2, 2002
Thanks guys!! i new there was a prob on his part , i think the rolback thing you mentioned is his problem!!

Sarge1

Mar 11, 2001
That's a problem with using the Device Manager to remove and install drivers. If the new drivers you have are an ".exe" file, it can't "see" them. So if you try to use "update" driver, you find the driver not available, leaving you only the option of rolling back the driver. Best to use Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs to remove the drivers. Remove all related registry entries using something like Regcleaner , then reboot and when XP asks to install drivers, hit "Cancel" then install the drivers you want.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
yup, all the above is basically true. You can remove drivers just like before, but now you have the added feature of a clean rollback to the last working set of drivers if you choose with the rollback feature. You get more with XP, not less (I sound like and advertisement for it!)