Driver Heaven review 3870 vs 8800GT

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by: ronnn
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: Ackmed

I said that some NV fans in the past have discounted the site, simply because its in German. Which is pretty sad. And yes, that is being bias.

Do some ATI fans discount the site as well?

By the way, Newegg has the OOS price on the cheapest 3870 at 269.99. They also have the cheapest OOS stock clocked 8800GT at 269.99. And they actually have a 8800GT factory o/c'd version IN stock for 299.99.

So this comment:

"So for cliff notes I said;
3870 is generally cheaper (it is)
8800GT is generally faster (it is)"

Is only 50% right. The 3870 used to be cheaper, but only for a short while. Just like the 8800GT, the prices already got ramped up. Now they are pretty much on equal pricing ground unless you want an o/c'd GT. But other than that, they are dead even in price now, and you know what that means.

They are not equal in pricing by any stretch. Here the 8800gt is $40 to $60 Canadian more and much less available. Like who cares about newegg, when all they do is gouge? Also following one member around is silly.

Yep, different markets have different results for price. And I dont care for newegg, havent for years. Since they started charging my state tax, and started charging for shipping. I use them as a reference most of the time however. And yes it is silly for some members to follow around other. I dont pay them any attention though, they can do it all day long if they want. If not for being quoted, I wouldnt even see their posts. Oh well, this thread has run its course for me, got things to do.

ManWithNoName

Oct 19, 2007
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
the dual slot cooling that expells the air out the of the case was a big deal for me. I have an antec 900, which as we all know has the psu on the bottom. It's never been an issue before, but if I have a very hot-running graphics card throwing its exhaust at my psu...yeah, exactly. I've read articles on one or two 8800gt manufacturers who are planning a dual-slot cooling solution, though I don't think any of them are making one that exhausts the air out of the case. If you want that then you need to get a 3870 or wait for 8800gts 512.

There have been a few deals here and there for below msrp on 8800gt, just keep your eyes open. dell has/had one recently in the 210 range but the jury is out on when it will actually ship. the best offer I've seen where a lot of people have been able to acquire in-stock 8800gt's was a best buy deal in the $220 range. Realistically, you'll probably be able to get a deal on one btwn 220-240, but you will almost definitely not receive the actual card until sometime in 2008.

Exactly, doesn't matter where you live, to find a good deal on either card, you need to shop around, and yes, the HD 3870 tends to be cheaper which makes sense since the 8800GT performance is a bit better. I tend to buy at NewEgg myself for almost everything because they "usually" have the best price, or at least within a few dollars of the best price. NewEgg also accepts Paypal so I can take what I've made off EBay from my old equipment and put it directly into the new. This doesn't stop me from comparing NewEggs pricing to ZipZoomFly, Buy.com, ClubIt, Frys, and a few others sites I trust.

As far as Cooling on the 8800GT goes, I agree that it would have been great for them to use a dual-slot cooler, but as far as my rig goes it didn't effect my temps in the least. My overclocked CPU temps haven't changed a bit and neither have my case temps. Frankly I was worried about this when I bought the card, but luckily the single-slot solution didn't effect me in the slightest.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: ronnn
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003

I said that some NV fans in the past have discounted the site, simply because its in German. Which is pretty sad. And yes, that is being bias.

Do some ATI fans discount the site as well?

By the way, Newegg has the OOS price on the cheapest 3870 at 269.99. They also have the cheapest OOS stock clocked 8800GT at 269.99. And they actually have a 8800GT factory o/c'd version IN stock for 299.99.

So this comment:

"So for cliff notes I said;
3870 is generally cheaper (it is)
8800GT is generally faster (it is)"

Is only 50% right. The 3870 used to be cheaper, but only for a short while. Just like the 8800GT, the prices already got ramped up. Now they are pretty much on equal pricing ground unless you want an o/c'd GT. But other than that, they are dead even in price now, and you know what that means.

They are not equal in pricing by any stretch. Here the 8800gt is $40 to $60 Canadian more and much less available. Like who cares about newegg, when all they do is gouge? Also following one member around is silly.

Yep, different markets have different results for price. And I dont care for newegg, havent for years. Since they started charging my state tax, and started charging for shipping. I use them as a reference most of the time however. And yes it is silly for some members to follow around other. I dont pay them any attention though, they can do it all day long if they want. If not for being quoted, I wouldnt even see their posts. Oh well, this thread has run its course for me, got things to do.

Honestly, Ackmed, I talk with an awful lot of people here in video. When I talk with you, why is it that I'm "following you around"? as you and ronnn have put it? If you can't handle an average conversation with me, don't post. I seldom visit forums other than this one, CPU, and once in a while PC gaming and FS/FT. Mostly here and CPU. So, if you post in here, there is a good chance I will see what you post and I do feel free to comment, as should anyone. I'm an active member here and post often. So let's not hear anymore of this "following you around" nonsense any more please.

You will especially see comments from me when you introduce a little tension into a thread with posts starting with:

"Its funny that a lot of NV fans........ yada yada....."

I know you get the idea.

If you ever wish to have a good conversation about things, feel free to PM me. I'm a good listener. :thumbsup:

Keys

imported_ST

Oct 10, 2004
Keysplayer...thanks for trying to keep this forum objective and unbiased as much as possible and from fanbois derailing the topics at hand. Keep up the good work!

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
speaking of MSRP... the MSRP on the GT shot way up... when it first came out it was much lower, but manufacturers adjusted their MSRP when they saw the prices people are willing to pay...

Syntax Error

Oct 29, 2007
You mean they just raised prices when supply was low and demand was high?

MSRP still remains around $250 for the 8800GT, whether or not e-tailers and board partners will honor this is another story, dependent upon supply of the 8800GT boards.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: taltamir
speaking of MSRP... the MSRP on the GT shot way up... when it first came out it was much lower, but manufacturers adjusted their MSRP when they saw the prices people are willing to pay...

Talt, do you have an ETA on the 8800GT your ordered from Dell?

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: ST
Keysplayer...thanks for trying to keep this forum objective and unbiased as much as possible and from fanbois derailing the topics at hand. Keep up the good work!
who are the fanbois trying to derail the topic at hand?

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Syntax Error
You mean they just raised prices when supply was low and demand was high?

MSRP still remains around $250 for the 8800GT, whether or not e-tailers and board partners will honor this is another story, dependent upon supply of the 8800GT boards.
actually msrp isn't set by nvidia and amd anyway, is it? I mean, diamond is selling their 3870 on their website for $299 plus shipping right now, and evga is also well above the "stated" msrp on their website. shouldn't msrp be whatever that particular board maker is willing to sell it for?