Drive mirroring across a network?

Andy22

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001
Somebody in my IS group just posed this question and since there is so much knowledge here, I thought I would pose it to you folks.

Is there any software that allows you to mirror drives across a network? Initially but without knowing the intricate details, I would think it is possible if not plausable.

Thanks-

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
TCP/IP SANs, there is also software like maxtor's relfect it but that only work with their stuff, do you mean mirror as exact mirror copy ie raid or mirror as in file changes, copies changes over ?

Andy22

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001
Yes, mirror as in copies the changes over.

Who are some software companies that offer SAN solutions? What about Veritas?

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
SANs, what I'm getting, TCP/IP SANs from CT to Seattle, expensive, i'm looking at EMC, Dell, Compaq, everyone is a little different but it's hard to tell which is better... my san design of 14 36 GIG = 504GB each site with fibre switches is 45 grand each. I can only think that EMC cost more... there is a lot..

Andy22

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001
I was thinking there may be a simpler less expensive software only alternative for just a few drives. Like if the software took a 20 gig partition on a drive in Memphis and mirrored it to another 20gig partition on a drive...in say Nashville. You might use this if you were unable to add drives to the system where the drive to be mirrored was located. We have point to point T-1's so bandwidth wouldn't be an issue.

Appreciate the info though.

cockatiel

Jan 20, 2001
I use Mr. Mirror 1.3 which is free (2.1 is $20). It is an amazingly well designed piece of software. It allows mirroring (on a schedule) across a network and does a text log of all activities. I find it refreshingly elegant.

http://www.warpgear.com/

NelsonMuntz

Golden Member
Jun 14, 2001
I think that a cheap software solution like cockatiel suggested would be the best bet. You wouldn't really want to set the mirroring up just like a RAID array (the two drives are having the same infomration written at exactly the same time all the time) because any time the network is down your array is down and when the network gets back up it has to go through the fix immediately. If you have something that maybe makes a copy every night, it might be a better solution.

Ben

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Norton Ghost will do this too.

Though Mr. Mirror may be a better solution.