Dreamfall Chapers finally going in production

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11...s-dreamfall-chapters-goes-into-pre-production

Years ago Funcom announced that the studio had secured money to start researching and planning the development of the next game in The Longest Journey franchise. Since then any information about the series has been minimal, especially since creator Ragnar Tornquist was busy helping Funcom release their recent MMO, The Secret World.
That changed today, though, with Funcom's announcement that they will be partnering with Tornquist's new Red Thread Games studio to bring the series back to life. Titled Dreamfall Chapters, the plan is to release the game in an episodic fashion, and Red Thread Games has licensed the franchise out from Funcom. Chapters is currently in pre-production, and Red Thread Games plans to independently fund and produce the series, sharing revenue with Funcom.
Tonquist stated the following in today's press release:
I'm very excited to finally have the opportunity to continue the 'The Longest Journey' saga. Ever since we ended 'Dreamfall' on a nail-biting cliffhanger, players have been rightfully demanding a sequel, and my deal with Funcom will finally make that possible. I'm extremely grateful to Funcom for this unique and exciting opportunity, and I can't wait to dive back into the universe I helped create more than a decade ago, and continue the story players have been waiting for these past six years.
For now that's all the studio is saying about the game, though further details will be provided "in the coming months." The question on our mind now is whether or not "independently funded" means they'll be turning to Kickstarter?

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I loved "The Longest Journey" saga, am looking forward to finally seeing a resolution to the game. Great story and hope the next installment lives up to the other two!

Wife of Runa

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Episodic? I hate episodic content. I have never seen it done well, as the piece-wise nature is too restrictive on gameplay. Especially for adventure games like this.

I never played Dreamfall, but I loved The Loungest Journey. Is Dreamfall any good?

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Episodic? I hate episodic content. I have never seen it done well, as the piece-wise nature is too restrictive on gameplay. Especially for adventure games like this.

yeah i'm skeptical about this. after waiting for years I'd rather they complete the saga in one installment.

I never played Dreamfall, but I loved The Loungest Journey. Is Dreamfall any good?

It's great, until the awful cliffhanger of an ending that's going to take like 7+ years to resolve. That was so annoying that I've pretty much wiped the whole game from my memory.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
glad to see this happening, finally. TLJ and Dreamfall were both excellent from what I remember. Hope they give it the attention to detail it deserves.