Dreamers

Nov 25, 2013
You had to know that the Trump gang was going to go after the 'dreamers'. They are such a juicy target and no longer appear to be of any use as a bargaining chip.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You had to know that the Trump gang was going to go after the 'dreamers'. They are such a juicy target and no longer appear to be of any use as a bargaining chip.

That's not the way Trump put it. He wants concessions from Dems to not fuck 'em-

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Fat chance!! Even if given concessions do you actually trust the Liar in Chief to keep his word???

Nov 25, 2013
That's not the way Trump put it. He wants concessions from Dems to not fuck 'em-

He's used them for that before but I think that well has been pretty much drained. I think it's all but a done deal that most, if not all, are gonna get shafted.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
You know he is going to stick it to them for the pro white nationalist vote.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Best figure on getting screwed. Because reasons.

Let's hope we can impeach his fat ass out of office before he can cause too much pain.

In a perfect world, the first thing President Pelosi would do, is strip Malaria's parents of citizenship and deport their asses since they have no "merit".

1573682040056.png

Last edited:

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Best figure on getting screwed. Because reasons.

Roberts is asking the right questions. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that DACA as a poorly conceived and implemented executive order bandaid to alleviate a problem born after decades of legislative and executive incompetence on the topic of immigration.

It is also not fair to penalize the beneficiaries of such a poorly conceived policy.

I believe Roberts is Constitutionally correct that it is within Trump’s authority to cease DACA, but that those enrolled in the program to date should not face deportation.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Roberts is asking the right questions. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that DACA as a poorly conceived and implemented executive order bandaid to alleviate a problem born after decades of legislative and executive incompetence on the topic of immigration.

It is also not fair to penalize the beneficiaries of such a poorly conceived policy.

I believe Roberts is Constitutionally correct that it is within Trump’s authority to cease DACA, but that those enrolled in the program to date should not face deportation.

This is generally where I expect Roberts to come down. I doubt he wants the court wants to shoulder the responsibility for deporting upwards of a million people who acted in good faith just because the political end of the issue is such a mess. This a is a legacy definer and Roberts knows that.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Yeh, he's putting out some mealy mouthed bullshit, huh? Deprived of legal status they'll also be deprived of their ability to work legally. And we shouldn't fuck 'em all at once, but rather in stages somehow. And Trump said he wouldn't deport them, anyway, so it'll all be peachy, kinda like for the Kurds.

Maybe they can save themselves & their nasty little American citizen rugrats by announcing an investigation into the Bidens.

Reactions: Meghan54
Nov 8, 2012
Reactions: Luna1968

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It';s pretty hilarious to expect that a previous president can enact this through executive order but the next president can't revoke it based on executive order lol.

Yeh, nevermind the depravity. It's Trump's trademark, after all.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
This is generally where I expect Roberts to come down. I doubt he wants the court wants to shoulder the responsibility for deporting upwards of a million people who acted in good faith just because the political end of the issue is such a mess. This a is a legacy definer and Roberts knows that.
Gorsuch is asking relevant questions. A SCOTUS ruling sets precedence and this goes far beyond the emotional argument for the Dreamers.

The Obama Administration chose to abdicate its authority over immigration. It had the right to do so. The Trump Administration chose to assert its authority over immigration. It has the right to do so as well.

I don’t see a compelling argument against Trump’s Constitutional authority to end DACA. The liberal justices seem to be questioning the intent behind Trump’s decision. Gorsuch is correct to challenge that thinking around judicial review.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It';s pretty hilarious to expect that a previous president can enact this through executive order but the next president can't revoke it based on executive order lol.

As with many things the Trump administration undermined its own case by not even bothering to supply any policy justifications for their change, just at the time that Sessions thought that DACA was illegal and so they cancelled it. There are protections in the law against "arbitrary and capricious" decisions getting made that harm people which is probably what the case hinges on now. My suspicion is that like the census case the court could decide that while the president has the power to terminate the program that power is not unlimited and arbitrary thus does not include the legal ability to dramatically harm hundreds of thousands of people without at least explaining themselves better.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Gorsuch is asking relevant questions. A SCOTUS ruling sets precedence and this goes far beyond the emotional argument for the Dreamers.

The Obama Administration chose to abdicate its authority over immigration. It had the right to do so. The Trump Administration chose to assert its authority over immigration. It has the right to do so as well.

I don’t see a compelling argument against Trump’s Constitutional authority to end DACA. The liberal justices seem to be questioning the intent behind Trump’s decision. Gorsuch is correct to challenge that thinking around judicial review.

See my next post.

I think this will be another case of Roberts likely saying "Yes, you can do it but not like this.". Executive power is protected but they can avoid the extremely obvious fallout by telling the Trump admin they did a bad job yet again.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Obama didn't abdicate his authority. He asserted it with an executive order. And forget those emotional arguments based on stuff like common fucking decency. There's no place for any of that in Trumpworld.

Reactions: Meghan54

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Obama didn't abdicate his authority. He asserted it with an executive order. And forget those emotional arguments based on stuff like common fucking decency. There's no place for any of that in Trumpworld.
But is it the court's place to deny Americans their right to be garbage? The people wanted a garbage president. They want their guns and they want to oppress the rights of minorities and are happy to give an ever-expanding percentage of their share of the GDP to billionaires in order to have those things.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Thats a good point. Especially when Trump has offered to do it the right way, through congress, and it would have protected more than the current act.

Anyway. Will be interesting.

Reactions: Luna1968

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Thats a good point. Especially when Trump has offered to do it the right way, through congress, and it would have protected more than the current act.

Anyway. Will be interesting.

Trump got his wall money in exchange for DACA then cocked up the deal by trying to re-trade for dramatic changes to legal immigration. He was infamous for trying to do this stuff in business to the point where multiple lawyers from the firm he employed were required to witness things because he'd often agree to something then pretend he hadn't after the fact or try changing the terms.

Trump's offers are meaningless since he is so unreliable. He hasn't been able to negotiate a single contentious issue with Congress for his entire presidency that the GOP already hadn't gift wrapped for him like spending packages.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Trump got his wall money in exchange for DACA then cocked up the deal by trying to re-trade for dramatic changes to legal immigration. He was infamous for trying to do this stuff in business to the point where multiple lawyers from the firm he employed were required to witness things because he'd often agree to something then pretend he hadn't after the fact or try changing the terms.

Trump's offers are meaningless since he is so unreliable. He hasn't been able to negotiate a single contentious issue with Congress for his entire presidency that the GOP already hadn't gift wrapped for him like spending packages.

OK