Dreamcast Q: What do i need to...

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
play my dreamcast using my computer monitor? its possible right?

JayPatel

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
its possible and boy is it worth it....i just bought a treamcast vga box off ironman on these forums and it truly is unbeleivable the amount of detail that normal tv's cant display when playing dc games. play sonic adventure 2 or soul calibur on both a tv and then on ur monitor and ull know what i mean.

they can be bought for around 20 bucks

fake

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
You can also do this with a TV tuner card if you already have one .. thats what I did but there were problems w/ sound :(

Rendus

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2000
Yes, the VGA box is like night and day. Quite an enjoyable difference :) Mine was $20 from Electronics Boutique. Definitely worthwhile if you play VGABox-compatible games (the biggest problem is some games are NOT compatible. If they're not compatible, they won't even display on the monitor (at least a couple disks won't.)

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
A TV tuner card is not at all the same thing as a VGA box. You can use the TV card to display and play on the monitor sure, but you don't get the same great colors, crispness as a VGA adapter.

Ollie

JayPatel

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000

<< You can also do this with a TV tuner card if you already have one .. thats what I did but there were problems w/ sound >>

yeah but then u got signal degredation so its kind of pointless going that route. i wouldnt worry about incompatibilities with the box anymore...most new games and even quite a few old ones support the vga box. 2d games look horrible except for guilty gear x on a vga box because they are drawn using low resolution sprites, 320*240 and then displaying them at 640*480 on ur computer monitor resulting in horrible pixelation. 3d games are a different story, breathtaking.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
yeah, i didn't get a vga box 'cuz i mostly play games that are not compatible.

and yes, i have played games via my aiw radeon with the s-video input =D

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
sounds like im gonna have to pick on up, ooo found one for 13 bux on ebay